WELCOME TO EARTH-740.

X-Men Revolution is an Earth-616 inspired advanced RPG. We are loosely inspired by canon comic and movies, but have our own history, original characters and plots.

Join us as an original character, or pick one from marvel canon!

x-men
REVOLUTION

Add Reply

Survival Games, Chomper, @Husk, Synch, Ricochet
Synch
Legacy Squad
Mar 24, 6pm, Canadian mountain wilderness
See http://xmr.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=156 for OOC info.

Ev looked around the landing area skeptically as the Blackbird dwindled in the distance. Honestly, it didn't look promising.

Which made sense, he supposed. The premise of this survival exercise, as the staff had hastily explained it, was that they'd survived an airplane engine failure and subsequent crash by parachuting out of the doomed airplane... now they were stuck in the middle of nowhere, in the freezing wilderness, awaiting rescue God only knew when... well, except the exercise was scheduled for a week, so it was a fair bet it would be exactly that long.

"Well," he said, looking at the sun where it lay near the mountain range. "I guess the sun won't be up for long, so first order of business is to figure out how we survive the night. It's already cold, it's gonna get colder." He picked up a corner of his parachute, ran the fabric through his fingers. "Unless someone brought a tent with them when we jumped, which I sure didn't, I guess our best bet is to jury-rig something out of one of the parachutes and ... some long branches, I guess? I mostly brought food," he admitted, dropping his backpack to the ground and rummaging through it. "Emergency rations. And a first-aid kit. It can get us through the night if we want, but I think maybe it's better to save it for emergencies, and try to hunt for our supper tonight?"

He looked over at Damien as he said it... his dinosaur form seemed perfectly suited for hunting large prey in the wilderness, which was a point in their favor, though Ev wasn't sure how it would handle the cold.

"Which I guess means we need a cooking fire," he continued, mostly thinking out loud. "Which I guess we need anyway, to keep from freezing to death. And to scare away wild animals... well, whatever Chomper doesn't scare off," he added with a chuckle. "And at least there's plenty of wood," he noted, looking around at the trees. "So that's something, right? I guess I'll start collecting some branches."

He looked around at the others, waiting to hear what they had to say.
Single
played by:
shadowkate
Students
Paige watched the plane fly away. Taking a breath. This was her first real field exercise and it was with some of the Legacy members. She wanted to do really really well on this.

One week in the wilderness. Well, Paige had a leg up on some of the others. She had grown up in a rural area. Had hunted for food and knew how to cook damn near anything with meat.

There were many things she would have liked to have in the bag. Instead, she had managed to grab a sleeping bag, a knife, and some rations. Since she knew the basic idea of the week, she had also managed to wear a few layers of clothes. A thermal layer, a tee shirt, a long sleeve shirt, a sweater, a fleece and a coat plus a hat and mittens. Shifting would have kept her warm but she couldn't hold for that long.

"Ah got food an' a sleepin' bag. Ah can cook somethin' up if we get meat. A knife an' a lighter." She also had a decent idea of what could be eaten. She hoped the wood was dry that the man went to get. Looking at their parachutes she had an idea. "Mr. Everett," Using his first name at least, even if still a Mr. "Ya first aid kit gotta a needle?"

She started to sit and took out the knife, and start to cut some of the cords on the parachute. "We can make a trap out of these ah thin', need som' springy twigs." If Chomper couldn't catch things.

She waited to see if anyone else wanted to say something. Hoping she wasn't really talking out of turn.

Single
played by:
Nick
Students
Johnny had been the first to put feet on the ground among the parachuters. Why, you might ask? And Johnny would say, with a big grin on his face, because it was fun. He hadn’t popped his chute at the instructed countdown time, rather sailing through the air for much longer before his Danger Sense warned him that he was getting too close to the ground. Which, Johnny was pretty sure he could survive the impact, but…blue sky, black death, I’m off to meet my maker? Yeah, pull the cord, just in case. Also, for all he knew, the backpack he’d grabbed might have thrown him off and gotten him injured. He wasn’t sure what was in it, but it was heavy so he’d decided it was the one to take.

Once the others landed and their field leader, Everett Thomas slash Synch, had gotten down to instructions, Johnny decided to rummage through the bag. “Oooh, what do we got here?” he asked, more to himself than anyone, as he pulled out a pair of pots, several empty bottles, one gallon of water, and a box of Gatorade drink mix packets. “Sweet, everything we need to turn snow into actual flavor!” He dug farther in and found another knife, like Paige had, and a small tin of…coffee? He sniffed at the brown crumbs. Yep. Coffee. Johnny closed the tin and tossed it lightly at Synch. “You’re the most senior citizen here, so I’m guessing the best part of waking up was meant for you,” he called out with a grin.

Still, just because he was having fun out here didn’t mean he wasn’t going to take it seriously. Like Paige, he’d been warned to dress warmly, and having lived in New York, he knew what piles of snow meant. He had full thermals on—long sleeve shirt, leggings, socks—blue jeans, a thick jacket, a Gryffindor beanie that completely hid his snowy white hair, and some thick gloves. Oh, plus the boots off his uniform, which he was allowed to wear since he’d basically worn them everywhere since getting them. He tapped his chin. “I’ll go hunting for trees and branches long and thick enough to use as poles then,” he said after a minute. His mobility through the trees would let him do this a lot faster than anyone else…supposedly.

He grinned at Damien. “Tell me which way you’re going to hunt, and I’ll go make noise in the other direction.”
Students
Even before they had set foot out into the wilderness Damien's body started trembling with the cold. Spring was technically here, but the weather was still very much the middle of winter, and they hadn't gone to a more tropical wilderness. This was a freezing climate and they wouldn't be spending the week in a cozy cabin in the woods. For the most part Damien had his usual bombastic enthusiasm for this trip. He had gone camping before with the Russels when it was cold and loved being out in the woods. He was a city boy, very much at home with the loud sounds of the city that never sleeps. Central Park had been the backyard his beast form could have romped about in at Greg's age. It was that beastly shape that was the other half of Damien that loved being out in the wilds. He had a great deal of energy that needed to get burned off because of being a "wee beastie", and a concrete jungle wasn't the place to do so. Someplace open, with shadowy places that he could hide in soothed a part of him that had been on edge for so long now. Even the idea of jumping out of a jet was exciting to Damien, little daredevil that he was. There was just one minor detail that made him question if he should sign up for the trip. Rahne had borne witness to the teen's biggest secret when they had gone camping and had done her best to help him feel safe about it. With the guaranteed freezing weather steps would need to be taken in order to keep them safe and warm. Like the students who had gone on the last disastrous field trip they did have at least some warm things. As much as this was going to be an exercise in survival nobody would bewould be able to get the thumbs up for this if the students were going to be dropped off in flip flops and their swimsuits. They also were given a backpack's worth of things that they could bring with them. Everyone could have just stuffed their backpacks full of warm clothes and those hand and feet warmers. More still neded to be done, and that meant a fire being built. Their chaperone even mentioned it.

Right now though they were taking quick stock of their supplies. Damien slung his pack off his back and on to the ground. He'd worn his uniform, in part because it helped to keep him warm, but also because if he was going to be hunting as a beast he'd need something that was beast friendly. He had been taught how to hunt in his beast shape, with mixed results. Damien had caught things in the past, but didn't have the heart to kill it, or even injure them. He did eat a few minnows once when splashing in the shallows of the lake before, but those were so small that he could swallow them whole. The only thing that really should tremble at the sight of those massive jaws closing in on them was a platter of burgers. Rahne's fridge had been more at risk from him than the wildlife of the woods near the school. In theory Damien could catch meat for them, provided there was any within range of them. Practice hunts with Rahne had familiarized him with the smells of some of the most common North American wildlife, and he knew how long he could push himself in his beast form before he shifted back. The immediate assumption was that Damien would be bringing home the bacon, or in this case, more likely the squirrel. Damien had prepared for this and started pulling out a stack of packaged high calorie bars. Each one of the fourteen sealed packages contained nine bars, totaling an impressive three thousand six hundred calories. He'd go through just one of those packages after a shift, and a second would be needed after getting a rest. Next to these he put a small pot, a large blue plastic tarp, still in its packaging, a compass was pulled out from one off the many pairs of socks that he kept in the bag, two flashlights with extra batteries, a multitool, a couple lengths of parachute cord wrapped around tin emergency survival kits, and a sleeping bag. The nice thing about being Damien sized was that he could still fit into the kid sleeping bags. Clearly someone had helped Damien pack because most of what he pulled out wouldn't have even occurred to him to bring. There were a few things that Damien kept in the bag that weren't necessarily survival items, such as his toothbrush, but would make the experience a bit more pleasant for all.

"I can hunt, but I can't prep it, and I'm going to need major food after," Damien tapped on the packets that he brought with him, "Major food, like what you could eat in a day." Maybe he could get lucky and catch enough for the others and himself. At least enough to offset the demands on their existing food supply that his shifting would place. He had no clue how to make a shelter for the night. His camping trip with the Russels had involved a tent. There was only so much wilderness survival that you exposed a kid as young as Greg to. The tarp at least Damien knew what it was meant for. Building a shelter for their heads and a fire to keep them warm would only go so far if they did not have someplace dry to rest on. That was where the tarp came in. They had done the same sort of thing with the tent. Right now it sounded like three things were trying to be done before it got dark. Building a shelter was not likely to be something that Damien could do. Starting a fire was even more out of the question. Damien couldn't look at anything more than a candle without his entire body freeing up. What would happen if you put that paralyzing fear with a fire that he'd be right up close to? The best option would be to have Damien get started on the food situation. This was an adventure of epic proportions for someone with as little responsibilities at the school as Damien had, and he didn't want to get pulled out of it early because he starved or froze. Johnny seemed eager to help him with the hunt. Paige and their chaperone were going to be working on building their shelter and getting the fire started. HE'd rather not get caught freezing, either from cold or fear, but he'd have to make the most of every second he was a beast. Furthermore the first shift needed to happen soon. Before they had left Damien gorged, more than what he usually did. Very rarely did the shrimp eat so much that he actually felt sick to his stomach, but that was the case today. Damien's stomach had been one pretzel stick away from exploding. It would serve him well for his first hunt. An unusual way to prepare for a field trip, but Demi was a student at Xavier's, so your typical field trip there needed a little more creative planning.

Before he shifted Damien took a second to study his surroundings. They had an aerial view as they had flown and then while they were jumping. What had he learned about hunting? Hunt where prey was likely to be. They had just made a spectacle of themselves that probably would have scared away anything that was nearby, both in terms of prey and predators. Wild animals were skittish things usually, and even top predators weren't likely to strike when it was clearly unsafe. At least that was what Damien figured. All animals needed a source of water and it was something that they had to keep an eye out for. A good bet would be where the trees grew the thickest. Alright, he could hunt in a forest. Demi had practice with that. He'd head into the thicker part of the woods to start and trust that Johnny could keep track of where they had come from. Hunting was an internal part of him, but the only compass that worked for Damien was the one that had been cushioned in his socks. "Alright let's go," he said to Johnny while he was still capable of speech. As soon as he shifted Damien was going to be incomprehensible. The further in to the woods they went, the lower Damien crouched until he was in his beastly shape, sniffing out his prey.
Synch
Legacy Squad
"A needle?" Ev echoed. "Not sure; let me check." He wasn't sure what Paige had in mind, but was happy to cooperate with whatever it was: the more creative strategies they could get started moving on, the better. He pulled the kit out of his backpack and rummaged through it... getting familiar with its contents was probably a good idea anyway, since he wouldn't have the time in an actual emergency. "The lighter was a good thought," he added as he searched, "way easier than rubbing sticks together. And... no needle, sorry," he concluded*. "Maybe we can whittle one out of wood?" he suggested skeptically, not sure a wooden splinter would be strong enough to penetrate any of the fabric they had. "But I'll keep an eye out for some springy twigs while I'm gathering firewood. About what size do you want 'em?"

"Sleeping bag was smart, too," he added ruefully. "It's gonna be a cold night."

He'd thought about bringing one, but they were so damned bulky; he'd ultimately decided on more emergency rations instead. He still wasn't sure he'd made the right choice... between assembling traps and hunting and getting a fire started it seemed like they might have the food situation covered, especially since Damien had apparently had the same thought. They'd probably brought a lot more food than they needed, he figured... though if he remembered correctly, the kid burned a lot of calories shifting, so maybe it would all come in handy after all.

And if they were lucky they wouldn't need the first aid kit, either, though it was a smart bet just the same. And between the emergency blanket in the kit and the parachute fabric and a fire, plus his insulated clothes... well, he wouldn't freeze to death. He might even be warm, as long as it didn't rain (or, more likely, snow) before they could jury-rig some kind of shelter. Worst case he could share a sleeping bag with someone else, though he'd probably never hear the end of that.

He caught the tin Johnny tossed his way and opened it, curious. "Coffee!" he exclaimed, delightedly. "OK, you are officially my favorite," he laughed. It might not be an emergency supply, but he had not been looking forward to getting through a week without it. "Oh! Hey, you two are superstrong, right?" he asked Johnny and Paige. He was less sure about Paige; her powers were complicated and he didn't know much about them, but he remembered hearing something about her shifting into stone and iron forms. "Maybe you could rip off some of the tin and fashion a needle out of it? Or from one of the buckles off the parachutes?" Again, he wasn't sure that would work, but it didn't hurt to suggest.

"OK, sounds like we have a plan, then," Ev nodded as everyone settled on tasks. He was liking how easily the four of them were working together... while he was willing to take command if necessary, having watched Scott do it for years, he was honestly just as happy to let them all be collaborative as long as they were getting things done. "I'll join y'all and gather some firewood," he added as Johnny and Damien prepared to head out, hastily gathering up his parachute to carry the wood in. "No sense splitting up if we don't need to. Paige -- sing out if you need backup, yeah? I won't be long." He wasn't too worried about leaving her alone; she could take care of herself against anything they were likely to run into out here, and gathering firewood wouldn't take too long... especially if he could synch with Johnny's powers while doing it.

* - Contents of first aid kit: http://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-pr...a-first-aid-kit

Single
played by:
shadowkate
Students
Paige watched the little shrimp Damien start to pull out tons and tons of energy bars. For a moment she wondered why they were hunting if he brought along so much food, and then it dawned on her. That was the minimum he probably needed to maintain his powers. Considering the size of him, that was...impressive that he could carry it.

She looked over again the supplies they seemed to have. Starting to already think about shelter. She would be the least useful for hunting. Until she had twigs she couldn't start a fire. She did grin seeing the tarp come out.

With Mr. Everett's question, she held her hands apart a bit. "Err, somethin' like this." She showed him. Just enough to spring right. She just hoped it was into the growing season up here or else it was unlikely they'd find what she needed.

"Ah'll be fine." She glanced at the tin with a smile, nodding. She thought she could do what she wanted if she manipulated the metal.

The point was shelter and they had a lot of fabric. Fabric that was waterproof and tough. They had paracord. They could make a large tent. "If ya find some sticks 'bout three ta four feet or even taller, brin'em? Need ta brace th' fabric. An'...err...Damien ya? Leave th' tarp." Looking for trees that she could string that up but thinking that might be better for when everyone got back.

She'd have to shift to be able to make the tin into what she needed it to be but it would be better than just cutting holes in the fabric and trying to knot the cord through it. She wasn't looking forward to being down to just her uniform either. IT might help insulate her but it was still freezing out. It was way better than the alternative.

As the others left, Paige changed into titanium, shaping the tin into something resembling a needle. Using a buckle to reinforce the otherwise weak piece of tin. She shifted back when she was happy and put her clothes back on.

She took the parachutes, now cut along the long end, so they opened to rectangles, and taking paracord, started to stitch three of them together. Overlapping so that even though her stitches weren't as fine as she would like them, and since this was a bit of a rush, they were long and just good enough to hold the seams together.

So by the time the boys got back, Paige was close to finished. It wasn't pretty but it would last at least until she had more time to try and reinforce. The last section she was attaching a little differently trying to make a bit of a door. "Hopefully this'll work bu' ah'll need some help gettin' it up."
Single
played by:
Nick
Students
Johnny stood up and stretched, folding himself nearly in half backwards and twisting his waist halfway around. He didn’t really need the warmup, his body stayed limber and ready for action, but it always felt good to stretch a bit anyway. He smirked when the bossman called him the favorite just over the coffee, but right now wasn’t really the time to stop and make his usual big deal over it. He put the gallon of water back in the backpack, but if they didn’t get a fire going soon, it would start to freeze, and it was too valuable to lose like that. As long as they had the pots and a fire, they could boil snow into water, but if for some reason they were deprived, they would need that gallon intact to keep them going another day. He nodded at Synch agreeing to go get firewood and spun the knife through his fingers for a moment before pocketing it.

Damien seemed impatient to get started, judging by the way he was urging them all to move out. Johnny watched the transformer head out into the woods, his body shifting as he went. Man, between him, Benny Boy and Skins, Johnny was starting to feel like the odd one out. He didn’t change a thing where his powers were involved. He blinked when Synch asked the two left if they had super strength. “What me? I hit harder than I look, but it’s not exactly super.” It would be more accurate to say that in Johnny’s case, his skeletal system did as much work as his muscles when it came to movement and lifting and such, so he was certainly physically powerful, but super strength was definitely overstating things.

Johnny blinked at Synch’s suggestion. “But…if we stay near Damien, I’m going to screw his hunting up with my noise,” he said, somewhat confused. Eh. A compromise wouldn’t be so bad, he supposed. Instead of heading out of the camp in the opposite direction of the tiger-alligator-bear thing, he headed out at a right angle instead, waving at Paige as she started to transform. He grinned at Synch. “Keep up, Copycat~” he called in a singsong voice as he took to the trees, bouncing from trunk to trunk, his superior vision helping him search even at high speeds for long, straight, sturdy limbs or sapling to use.

Eureka! Johnny bounced higher into the air, landing on a thick tree branch to look at a much thinner one jutting out from the trunk. It had a good six feet of straight length before it tapered off into smaller limbs and lots of leaves. Perfect! Johnny walked over to the end, balancing on the limb effortlessly, and pulled out the knife, cutting away the end and letting it fall to the forest floor. He considered gathering it up for the fire, but green stuff didn’t burn well. He wondered if the stuff would dry out before the end of the week and he could backtrack to pick it all up? Hmm…well, he could try if the opportunity present itself. With one end taken care of, he moved to the other end and examined it for a moment. Okay, he could do this. He sawed into the branch for a few seconds, enough to embed the blade in the wood, then jumped, flipping to add momentum to the aerial axe kick he was using. His heel slammed home dead on the dull edge of the knife blade, and the impact of the kick drove it straight through the branch, sending all three falling to the ground below.

Johnny caught the knife midair as he landed in the snow, then picked up the branch and looked at it. Six feet of straight wood. Perfect!

---

When Johnny returned to the campsite, he had a dozen such branches and saplings, all between five and eight feet, gathered in his arms. It had taken him a while to find that many, but he had a good sense of direction thanks in part to his powers, so getting back to camp had been quick and easy. He dropped the pile of makeshift poles beside Paige and performed a very exaggerated bow that left his head somewhere around the level of his own shins. “Madame, your supports,” he said with a grin.
Students
There was something special about being out in the wilderness that just felt right. Damien was a city kid, more familiar with having to navigate his way through large crowds of people than making his way through the woods. When he was in his beastly shape and out in the wilderness like this, things just clicked in a way that could only be described as natural. As he slunk from one shadowy spot to the next it was as effortless to him as breathing, something that he didn't have to think about. The bridge of his nose would wrinkle as his the thin black lips pulled back, allowing him to taste subtle scents that the snow tried to hide from him. There was the faint, familiar sulfur of skunk, the woody smell of squirrel, and the earthy smell of rabbits. None of those three were going to end up feeding anyone. Even if Damien's beast shape was a little less bright than he normally was, he still wasn't stupid enough to try to hunt down a skunk. The smell stuck on you, and it was bad enough when it was just floating in the air. Squirrel smell went to a tree, smelling fresh enough that he knew the meat was way above where he was capable of leaping. Height was not Damien's friend in many ways, in both of the shapes he could take. Since the very first day he practiced hunting Damien couldn't bring himself to kill rabbits. He'd caught one that day, and the way that it had looked at him made him think of Isa. There were more smells in there of creatures that Damien could not easily identify. Rahne had been teaching him, but there were some things that just didn't live where they did.

Damien was also trying to catch the scent of water. He'd always thought that water didn't have a smell to it unless there was something in it like chlorine or sulfur. It was clear, tasteless, and for most of his life Damien had been convinced odorless. It had proven to be one of the harder things for him to learn to identify, just behind his own scent. Water smelled like the air in the middle of winter, a crisp coolness that danced in your nostrils. The scent was more of a sensation, a combination of taste and touch. Damien could smell/taste/feel that unique smell that was water, but because of the snow it was everywhere his head swung. His ears twitched, picking up the sounds of Johnny bounding around in the trees behind him, the crunch of Everret's boots as he walked through the snow. He placed these sounds in his mind and sorted them out as unimportant. Part of hunting was listening in closely to what sounds were around you. Certain sounds could be ignored, and silence always was an indication of something having gone wrong. Even in the dead of winter there was still some sounds to be heard in the forest, if only you were to pay close enough attention. Trees swaying in the breeze, animals moving about, as slugishly as they might be, all sounds of a healthy inhabited woods. Silence usually fell if there was a predator spotted.

Tiny ears suddenly swiveled forwards, catching a sound that he knew wasn't from either Johnny or Ev. A crunching noise of something heavy walking dainty in the snow, followed by a snap, some twig or branch being broken. What had been making the crunching sounds suddenly stopped. In his shadowy hiding spot Damien froze, low to the ground, his broad chest separated from the snow by only the thinnest layer of air. His pupils dialated as he looked towards the sound, eyes only moving. It was some sort of deer thingie, not something that he had ever hunted before. Damien's body quivered, and he burst into action, like a bullet shot from a gun.
Synch
Legacy Squad
Ev nodded at Paige's requests for different-length sticks. Under other circumstances he'd have jotted it down on his phone, but he'd turned that off shortly after they landed... there was no way the battery would last ten days, and he might need it for an emergency later. Not that he could really think of any situation that his phone would get him out of, given that there was no way they would get signal out here, but he'd been around the block enough to know that emergencies had a way of being things nobody had thought of before... if only because the things you think of, you tend to address before they become emergencies.

So he settled for committing them to memory. Not as reliable, but more sustainable.

His eyes widened in surprise when Johnny denied being superstrong, though now that he thought about it, Ev couldn't remember whether he'd seen enhanced strength on the man's report. Certainly he felt stronger when he was synching Johnny's powers -- which, having thought of it, he took the opportunity to start doing now -- but that could mean a lot of things. "OK, good to know," he replied. "Though, no lie," he added, as Johnny's agility suffused his muscles, and he jumped up and touched his toes in the air a few times, "you'll definitely do until super comes along, y'know?"

Splitting the party up like this didn't sit too well with him, but ultimtely he nodded agreement with the plan as they headed out together, joining Johnny up in the trees while Damien moved out in the other direction. They could all take care of themselves in the woods, and the other two were right about not scaring off game. They didn't have many hours left before sunset, and there was a lot of prepwork they needed to do before then.

While Johnny worked on cutting poles, Ev occupied himself with the rest of Paige's shopping list, as well as finding dead wood that would serve as firewood. Nothing was exactly dry in this weather, but there were lots of fallen limbs that would serve well enough.

It didn't take them too long to make their way back to the camp, loaded down with wood -- and whatever Johnny might say about not being superstrong, Ev was pretty sure he was carrying a lot more than he was normally able to. He dumped most of the load where he intended to set up a campfire, and added the sticks he'd picked out for her. "Closest I could find," he said with a shrug, "hope they'll do the trick." He looked around at the fabric panels she'd stitched together while they were out and nodded appreciatively. "Wow... you're really making a tent here!" Ev had been thinking they would just drape the parachutes over some kind of wooden frame to keep the rain off, but what Paige was assembling seemed like it would serve as a much more functional shelter. "Cool."

Once he had his site cleared, he ringed the area with stones and started to tear the damp wood off of the outside of the limbs, exposing the dry cores to use as fuel and arranging them carefully so they would burn evenly and safely. The damp wood he piled up near the campfire site, figuring it would dry by the fire and be usable soon enough. "This should be enough to get us through the night," he decided as he regarded the pile, "long as it doesn't rain."

In the morning maybe he'd go out with Paige for more fuel... between them, if he synched with her metal form, they could probably brink back a fallen tree or two and solve their firewood problem fairly permanently. But they had to get through the night first.

"Which reminds me: we all need sleep, right? I mean, in general?" It was a funny question, in most contexts, but with Xavier's students it didn't go without saying, and he couldn't remember for sure. If any of them didn't, it would save them the effort of having to set up watches to keep the fire going and keep an eye open for wild animals or threatening weather.

"And Damien should be back by now, don't y'all think?"

Paige Guthrie
Single
played by:
shadowkate
Students
Paige had been started to feel the coolness settle in around her as she worked. Glad she had redressed and wondered if she could shift to something that wouldn't get cold...but then she would have to switch back at some point. Instead, she was glad for the task to focus on. She had worn a pair of fingerless gloves under her mittens because she didn't want to lose the dexterity but normal gloves also wouldn't keep her fingers very warm. But without her fingers covered, they were getting red and chapped as she sewed up. Glad to finally finish.

She glanced up when Everett came back with the sticks, pulling her mittens back on. "It seemed ta be a warmer plan than th' a lean-to." She smiled at him. Lean-to wouldn't give them much shelter and it meant that sleeping would be difficult. It also meant that they'd probably have to sleep still bundled up a lot.

No, this was the better option. It would help protect them better from the rain, wind, snow and cold. He moved off to start a fire and she stared at the branches. "Thank ya, they should do."

Which was about the time Johnny bounced back into view, his arms full of more twigs. "Johnny ya wanna help me set up?" She gave him a wide smile. "Sticks ta the ground, bent near th' top an' then we'll put th' shell on an' reinforce?" She explained her general idea. Thankfully she had put up enough tents to have one.

As for sleep, she glanced over to the person leading this little group. "Ah do." She confirmed. "Do ya thin' he met somethin' he couldn't handle?" She wondered outloud. It seemed odd that there might be something a dinosaur couldn't deal with. "Ah can shift an' go search if we need." Not that she wanted to go before the tent was totally dealt with.

Ricochet Chomper Synch
Single
played by:
Nick
Students
No lie, Copy Paste had some pretty cool powers. Nothing Johnny would trade his own for, of course—the guy might be able to copy them, but that was secondary to having them all the time. But as far as “that is so cool” went, he was high up on the list just for sheer versality. Johnny, being an athlete, loved versatility. Strength, speed, agility; you needed them all to maximize your own value on the field. He added more makeshift poles to Johnny’s pile once he’d dumped the firewood, then complemented Paige on the work she’d done. Johnny grinned, even as he picked up one of the longer branches and examined it.

Johnny wasn’t terribly outdoorsy. Well, he was outside all day every day if he could manage it, but he knew zip about camping or wilderness survival. He tended to go back inside for bed. Still, he did know what a tent looked like. So…hm. A line of triangles to drape the fabric she was stitching over? Hopefully he had that right. Johnny pointed the pole at the ground like a spear. Lessons from knife-throwing, javelin toss, shooting a bow and arrow, and pole vaulting converged in his head as he drove the long stick firmly into the ground, at about a thirty-degree angle. He picked up another, but paused when the others began to wonder where Damien went.

Johnny scrambled up the pole he was holding, balancing it perfectly on the ground at a slight angle even as he stood on it near the top, looking around. It was more for show than anything, just something he’d seen a depiction of the Monkey King do. Truthfully, he wasn’t sure how long the kid would be gone. Potentially, it could take him some time to find something to kill, right? But again, the least experienced here, so he wasn’t about to argue. Maybe the kid was still looking. Maybe he’d killed something that was REALLY heavy and hard to bring back alone. Anything could have happened. Paige offered to go search, but frankly, it was clear to Johnny that she needed to be the one to set the camp up. “Nah, let me go,” he said lightly. “My eyes are tied for my best feature. With my abs. And face. And muscles. And butt. And—right, going!”

He grinned at her even as he launched himself backwards into the trees. But as Johnny danced along the limbs, headed in the direction he’d seen Damien leave the camp, he was much quieter than he’d been when he and Ev had gone to collect wood. He bounded along through the trees, quiet as a ghost, the only sounds he made the whisper of his thick clothes as the layers rubbed against each other.
Students
Meat beast was fast, bounding temptingly close, just out of snapping distance. His thought process was simple as a beast and he streamlined people and things into the most basic of terms. Prey wasn't an elk, a sneaker, Rahne, it was prey, and in this case, a meat beast. Sneakers, Rahne, other things he'd been told to hunt down before weren't what he was going to eat, they weren't meat. This thing, easily twice his size, was meat. He knew that he liked the taste of it, and that this meat was something that he didn't get to eat as much as he wanted to. The rarity of the meat was what made it so tempting. Thick drool oozed over his thin black lips, pushed back by the wind as his tail whipped about like a windmill correcting his balance on unfamiliar terrain. Rahne made him run in snow and ice trying to get through his literally thick skull skills that his prehistoric warm climate was foreign. He might not understand her reasoning for it, or even sometimes the words that she said, his body clicked with things. Beast shape or human shape Damien learned physical things better than mental, and if he could do something while being taught the chances of the lesson sticking improved. Rahne's teachings were serving him well as he kept his pace without crashing from the slippery ground. Damien wasn't closing the gap between him and the elk but it wasn't pulling ahead more either. Muscles in Damien's legs tensed, tightening like a spring being compressed, preparing for an action to bring this hunt to its end. There was a clock counting down just how long Damien could keep his beastly shape up, and running wild through the woods like this turned real seconds into Punchout seconds. The meat beast didn't have that working against it, and Damien didn't know how long it could keep going compared to him. He was a filmmaker (sort of), not a zoo person.

That tension that had been building in him finally snapped and Damien's body burst forward, a bound of energy that made his proto-hooves thunder as the distance between him and the meat beast shrunk. He was a streak of black and oxidized blood red standing out in sharp contrast to the dull greys and bleached white of the snowy landscape. It did not take long for Damien to find his massive jaws now parallel with the hip of his prey. He never had actually brought a hunt to an end that resulted in a meal. That piece of his mind that still was human kept flashing to the looks on his brother and sisters' face when they saw him as a beast whenever he tried to catch something to eat. There had never been a need for him to get food from his hunts. Rahne's cabin, Damien's room, the school's kitchen all offered more than enough food to satisfy his needs. Maybe if he hadn't shifted they could have lasted until the end of the trip on the calorie bars that he had packed. It would have been a rough time, but they wouldn't starve. If Damien was going to put a strain on what food he had brought he better come back with something with it. The elk, sensing that its predator nearby took a sharp turn. Damien kicked off a tree, getting the height he needed and the turn he otherwise would be unable to do.

Damien stumbled through the snow, his body heavy and lacking all the grace and strength that he had not even five minutes ago. Right now he could use some of that strength, for he was unable to bring back anything like this. Leaving behind such spoils was bound to attract another predator. He just could not do it on his own. Scalding tears streaked his face, no longer falling, but having left behind slick, shiny evidence of the blade of guilt that was cutting him up. He was a little lost, unsure where exactly the campsite was, but sure that if he followed the churned up snow from his chase he'd make his way back. Eventually. Damien had been chasing that elk for he didn't know how long, and it wasn't as if there were convinient White Castles around that he'd be able to use as landmarks. His focus at the time had been on his prey, not his surroundings. Thankfully the mess that he had made of the once pristine snowscape was easy enough to see when there was light, and as long as he looked towards the ground he could walk in the massive hoofprints he had left behind.

Topic Options
Add Reply

skinned exclusively for XMR by evvie of caution, shine, & tumblr.

Our Discord

Affiliates & Directories

RPG-D
Top RP Sites Top RP SitesVote for X-Men: Revolution at Top Site List Planet
Shadowplay Topsites Marvel Topsites