WELCOME TO EARTH-740.

X-Men Revolution is an Earth-616 inspired advanced RPG. We are loosely inspired by canon comic and movies, but have our own history, original characters and plots.

Join us as an original character, or pick one from marvel canon!

x-men
REVOLUTION

Add Reply

For What It's Worth, Rahne
Widowed
played by:
Toastie
School Faculty
February 20th, 2018
Approx 9:14 am

While the jetlag hadn't lost its grip on the geneticist, she was finding herself deep in the woods surrounding the grounds. Moira was never one to really shy away from a walk deep in nature. It was a welcomed reminder of the beauties she deprived herself of when she got too lost in her own work and passion.

Even her fondest memories as a child were the adventures in the highlands. It was an innocent escape from the realities she eventually grew to know the world was comprised of, and a moment in time she often wished she could revisit.

Despite her hardships, she wondered if she would even be half the woman she was today had it not been for everything she had to endure. The answer seemed easy enough, her parenting probably wouldn't have been the same, and her own protectiveness of Rahne when she had discovered her, probably wouldn't have burned so fiercely.

As she absentmindedly twisted and turned through the faded path, she did her best to push a few thoughts from her mind, especially Joesph MacTaggert. He was enough of a monster that it made her wonder how much different her life could have been had she opened herself to her first love. One that had remain supportive of both her career and hardships long after she realized her mistake.

A sudden sound from in front of her caused her to break from her destructive train of 'what ifs' and remind herself that her walk had an eventual destination, one that was far more welcomed than reexamining her past regrets. Had she the opportunity to redo her life, she wasn't sure she would be so willing to accept. Even though all the pain it had given her a current reality she wasn't sure she wanted to let go of.

X-Men
Greg Russell, even at seven years old, was a fast learner. But only somewhat. Academically, he was not the quickest on the uptake, and struggled to retain what he read, had a tough time with math, and had generally to work a bit harder to do well than some of his classmates.

But when it came to physical learning, how to do things, how to follow a scent, how to narrow down sounds, how to run quickly and quietly, he was remarkably quick on the uptake. So as his grandmother approached, he was ready, hidden just out of sight behind some vegetation.

His enthusiasm caused him to twitch early, and she definitely heard it. He saw her react, and his cover was blown. He was sure of that.

So he burst out of his hiding place with an exuberant cry of "Grandmaaaaaaa!", running towards her with all the wild enthusiasm of a seven-year old, despite his lupine appearance. His little tail though, wagged from side to side at a furious pace.

"Did I s'prise you? Did I? I had to be really quiet and really not moving, 'cause mom heard you coming and thought I could s'prise you so I did!"

From a short distance away, Rahne watched with a slight chuckle. It was good to have Moira back in the states. She liked it when she was nearby, and it was a sad thing when she was overseas. But now to have her actually here? On campus? A coworker? Rahne was both excited and a bit nervous. Her mother had never been her peer before. Could she handle that?

"Hope ye caught all that," Rahne said as she approached, far more casually than her son, and not in her more hirsute other form.

""Hi, mum," she said, waiting her turn since Greg had rushed in for the first embrace.
Widowed
played by:
Toastie
School Faculty
It wasn't hard for a smile to spread across her face, melting away any concern that had previously been there. It was amazing what the sight of her grandson could do. Bending down to accept any hugs, she scooped him up in her arms and kissed his forehead. "Aye, ye did!"

As she looked forward she spotted Rahne. "I hope you aren't causin' too much trouble for yer mum. I wouldn't be about to spoil you as much if so," Moira teased. She offered a smile to Rahne. "Holdin' up well out here? Seems like you have yer hands full, but I am sure you don't mind the exercise." she gave a bit of a wink. "Regardless I'm here for some time, so I can help ye out if you need it."

The visit would be a welcome break from the labs, and Moira was trying to reach out and interact with those she cared about far more than what she was used to. If there was one thing she was actively working at better, it was trying to avoid isolating herself to the labs.

Giving Greg a bit of a tickle, she stood up and took his hand in hers. "Come on, let's see what we can help your mum out with today. Do you have any new toys or games?"

As Moira lead her grandson over with her to close the distance between herself and Rahne, she looked at her daughter. "I hope you are well dear. I've missed you." She momentarily let go of Greg to offer Rahne a hug. "He is grown so much. You are proving to be a fine mother. I can already tell. I couldn't be prouder."
X-Men
"I'm not a troublemaker!" Greg laughed, hopping from left foot to right foot and back again for no particular reason other than having enough juvenile energy to burn as to make that a viable activity while talking.

"Oh really now!" Rahne scoffed, eyebrows lifted, as she folded her arms at her chest after meeting her mother's embrace. "So the time ye got yuir self stuck in the middle of the lake 'cause ye thought ye knew how to row?"

"One time, mom!" Greg answered, stopping his little hopping game immediately.

"Or the broken dinner chair, or the trail of destruction in the flower garden, or..."

"Okay! I get in trouble sometimes," he sheepishly admitted to his grandma.

"But ye're gettin' better, I'll admit," Rahne chuckled, having enjoyed this bit of sabotage, she also had to admit. However, no sense in completely destroying her son's exuberance. Best to just leave it at keeping him honest. "Yuir grandma should tell ye about the endless grief I caused a local shepherd who'd bring his herd to graze on Muir sometimes."

"Ooooh! Mom! Can I show her the jungle gym dad built me?" Greg interrupted, suddenly struck by childlike inspiration.

"Aye," she smiled, and nodded her head. "We thought he could use a smaller, more individual playset than the school jungle gym - lets him burn out energy right in our backyard - well, as much as we have a backyard."

The walk to the Russell cabin continued along, with Greg running a zigzag pattern ahead, if only to let the women keep pace.

"I've missed ye to, mum," Rahne said with a smile. "Should'a known yuir travels would eventually bring ye settlin' in here. Didn't, but I should'a. Glad they did."
Widowed
played by:
Toastie
School Faculty
"Yer mother was an angel I'm not sure what she is talkin' about," Moira teased with a wink. "though there might have been a few times here and there,"

Raising a child certainly wasn't a cake walk, and Moira was sure that Rahne was experiencing it first hand.

Moira watched as Russell zipped ahead. "I have to admit that is a smart move. I am not sure why I never thought of something like that when you were around." she mused looking to Rahne. "I'm proud of ye, seems like he really is enjoyin' himself. Ye've raised him well."

"Well, this place holds a lot of memories for me. Means a lot more to me that I wanted to admit, but you reach a point where you can either run from the memories until yer six feet under or face them and realize yer not gettin' any younger," Moira's eyes darted down as she walked alongside, keeping pace. It was a tad bit morbid but something she had been considering for a while, though she was quick to change the subject.

"Regardless, I'm glad as well. Don't be scared to let me know if you need some space. I know how things can feel with family sometimes. I can just drop off pies every now and then if that's all you need,"

The last thing that Moira wanted was to be a bother, but feeling that she could help as many as she could for as long as she had, helped her rest a little easier. "I did always think about what it would be like to be back here. This place is very special and I wouldn't have it any other way."

Offering a soft smile, she looked back to Rahne. "So, what have I missed between the jet lag and endless sleeping? Any other ways I can be of some assistance now that I am here."
X-Men
"Oh, a few times," Rahne laughed. She knew she'd never forget that she made old man Abernathy's flock run away because she was bored one day. She hasn't meant to make them run that far, only to chase them around a bit, but...

"Thank ye muchly," Rahne said with a smile. "I'd like t' think I had a good example t' follow."

Much of her life had been spent looking up to what Moira had established, what she stood for, what she fought for. Someone such as her was a rare person in today's day and age, a woman who despite the massive social gulf between human and mutant, bridged that gulf not just for science and curiosity, but out of common humanity, out of kindness and decency and moral fortitude. Moira may not have been the most religious of people, but she was one of the most morally sound people Rahne had ever known. Her heart, her soul, were always in the right place. That was a strong example to live up to.

"I'm just thrilled to have ye close by," Rahne said. "An' I could certainly do worse than muh own mum as a tea time partner. That's nae really somethin' most people here appreciate so much."

"Gramma gramma! Look what I can do!" Greg called out from ahead of them, as they approached the little jungle gym just outside the Russell cabin. It was certainly nothing of the sort that was out in the main common area, intended for more kids, and had that kind of handmade quality to it - this was not constructed from parts in a box. He ran up the slide the wrong way, his little paws thumping with each step, before he leaped off the top of the ladder and down to the ground.

Rahne winced as he leaped, but she'd seen him do it enough to not freak out over it. She did that the first time. This time, she knew he was most likely safe, but the chance was always there that he could hurt himself.
Widowed
played by:
Toastie
School Faculty
"Oh my," the display had caught her off guard but the reality that Greg could handle such a feat began to sink in. She was quick to try to fix her expression of horror to one of amazement. Part of her wondered what she exactly had expected considering he was just as feisty and energized as Rahne had been.

"Ver' impressive Greg. Careful not to give yer Gramma a heart attack wouldn' be able to spoil ye then." She gave a knowing look to Rahne. Somewhat entertained that she was experiencing first hand some of the little frights that Moira had when she was first settling into the position of mother. "Who needs a gym when ye have Greg to chase after right?" Placing a hand on Rahne's arm she gave it a bit of a squeeze. "If you need more time t' yuirself, just let me know. That's what I am here for."

Moira neared Greg with a smile, tracing her fingers along the handcrafted playset to admire it for a second. "Any other things to show yer Gramma?" Moira was slightly worried about what would result at such a request but the idea of tiring Greg out a bit didn't seem like that bad of an idea. Rahne and Moira would get some time without worry if such a feat was accomplished.

X-Men
"You're not gonna have a heart attack!" Greg laughed, as if it were just a joke, as he made his way back over to the two women, neither winded nor terribly exerted in any way. "You're the toughest grandma in the whole world!"

Rahne glanced over to Moira and winked, as in her eyes, her son wasn't overselling the woman in the slightest. Few people would have stepped up as Moira did, even for a human kid. The fact that Rahne was what she was and Moira still took her in, still gave her a home and a life and a reason to be, that was utterly remarkable, a thing that most non-mutant humans would dare to do.

"I'll do that, I promise," Rahne answered. Moira was one person she knew for sure could handle taking care of Greg. Sure, he was a handful, but she reasoned he was no handful that Moira hadn't already handled with expert skill and intuition.

"I can jump off the swing and go really really far!" Greg volunteered, happy to show off. There were few things that felt quite as good as impressing an adult with what you could do, especially here at Xavier's, where so many people could do so many things.

"And I can almost catch a rabbit all by myself! Mom says I'm getting good at it!"

"We've... taken him on some hunting expeditions," Rahne explained. "Nothin' big, of course. He's not ready for deer yet."
Widowed
played by:
Toastie
School Faculty
"Oh? You are suddenly a doctor, then?! Sounds like something someone that does want me to have a heart attack would say," she teased, her smile widening as Greg continued to flatter her. "Ach, well, I wouldn't say toughest. It might hurt some feelings but it's a title I am willing to accept if you insist." Moira gave a bit of a wink before looking to Rahne. "He certainly will get far in life, I can already tell."

"A rabbit?! Well, I guess the Easter bunny better watch out next easter he comes around. Sounds like you have quite a lot of work cut out for you. Keeping your mum busy too I see. I am sure you will make a fantastic hunter in no time."

Moira liked to think that it was a much harder task to capture her heart, but with Rahne and now her grandson in her life, she was finding herself slacking in terms of putting up the walls she had grown accustomed to place around herself. She had Joesph MacTaggert thank for that, and while he no longer had a hold over her life, she was thankful that over the years she had allowed herself to love again, as a mother and a grandmother.

Wolfsbane

X-Men
"Kids can't be doctors, silly gran'ma!" Greg laughed, playing off Moira's concern as if she was simply joking around.

"Tell that t' Doogie Howser," Rahne said, and got a confused look from her son. That reference was a bit old even for her, so certainly it was well over his own head. That she knew of the show at all was a bit of a rarity in her age range.

"I can't catch the Easter bunny, he's a magic rabbit!" Greg said. "He's like Santa, and nobody can ever get Santa!"

Rahne herself wasnt the keenest on Santa or the Easter bunny, but she knew that she had been denied that as a child thanks to her father, and wouldn't deny her own kids the magic of holiday myths. There was something wonderful about that belief, while it was acceptable.

"So, d'ye plan on pickin' up some classes? Surely, Doctor Bradley would be more than happy t' nae have t' teach classes, an' I think the students would prefer you anyway. The man's got a bit of a monstrous reputation that I'm nae entirely certain he has or has not duly earned. The rumors that man has generated in his time here are a bit legendary, an' I have a hunch he's done his fair share of promoting 'em."

Topic Options
Add Reply

skinned exclusively for XMR by evvie of caution, shine, & tumblr.

Our Discord

Affiliates & Directories

RPG-D
Top RP Sites Top RP SitesVote for X-Men: Revolution at Top Site List Planet
Shadowplay Topsites Marvel Topsites