WELCOME TO EARTH-740.

X-Men Revolution is an Earth-616 inspired advanced RPG. We are loosely inspired by canon comic and movies, but have our own history, original characters and plots.

Join us as an original character, or pick one from marvel canon!

x-men
REVOLUTION
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

A day of love, a night of debauchery, Masquarade Ball at the Hellfire Club
Single
played by:
Kacy
Hellfire Club
Date: Feb.14th 2018
Tag: Psylocke Archangel Longshot Stepford Cuckoos Stacy X Daken Max Coleridge Katherine Pryde
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Kitty/Manny Joint Post)

It was the night of the ball, and the best part was it would be another date with Kitty. If this was a good idea or a bad idea, was anyone's guess… it was either going to be great or she was going to see all the horrors Bobby kept telling her about the club. He was leaning much more to the first though. It was an all members and friends Masquerade Ball. But that didn’t change the face it was the Hellfire Club, and he was taking beautiful sweet, innocent Kitty Pryde with him. It was a side of the world she had never lived in, and he wanted to prep her on a few things before they headed out to the Club together.

He was trying to get ready a bit before she got there, it wasn’t like she needed to knock as he told her to just let herself in when she got there. He was in the bathroom trimming up his facial hair, his black dress pants on, a tank top, and newly waxed shoes. He has a black button up shirt, a red waistcoat, and tie hanging up to finish off the outfit. He ran his finger through his hair once he was done with his face, getting his hair in the messy perfection he went for.

Kitty was...nervous. She was Cinderella going to the ball, with the bonus of going with her Prince, instead of meeting him there. She and Manny had been dating, officially, since January 7th - not that she was counting. It was the most serious adult relationship she’d had, and she was still riding the emotional high of a man who cared for her, who tried to understand her, who didn’t pressure her…. Truthfully? She felt a little bit like a part in a movie….Fifty Shades of Grey or Pride and Prejudice…

Their relationship had progressed; Kitty adored Manny, and really? She loved him, though terrified to say those words. Five weeks and nothing bad had happened. She’d gone into the city, and once he’d come out to her - but five weeks of just….happiness. Of course, she knew no one would believe her if she told them she and Manny hadn’t had sex - but who cared! He was being respectful, and that was what was most important.

The week had gone by too fast. They’d called, they’d texted and she’d even managed to face time a few times with him, but she hadn’t seen him in five days. And so, she’d made the executive decision to head into the city to get her hair, make up and nails done, but she’d put her dress on at Manny’s. After all, she was just going to end up staying over. Again. And so, when she phased through the front door, she called out, “Heya! I’m here! Sorry I’m a few minutes behind….all I have to do is slip my dress and shoes on and I’ll be ready…” She went searching for him, finding him in his bathroom.

“I feel like I should purr to live up to my name….” She slid up behind him and hugged from behind. As always, Kitty didn’t hide emotions. She was nervous, just - but a large part excited...and really? She apparently was very happy to be going to a formal affair… Not like she ever had a prom or anything…

He heard her voice as she phased her way into his house, he knew at some point he needed to give her a key… but the gesture felt a bit more meaningless when the girl who made your whole world explode in happy thoughts and rainbows could just phase through a wall. But he knew it was the thought that counted, so he added it to his list to find the right time and way to surprise her with a key she would never use.

“Don’t worry about it, haven’t you heard it’s better to be fashionably late?”

He smirked he finished what he was doing and before he could escape his bathroom her arms were wrapped around him. He smirked and leaned back giving her a kiss. His shoulders doing a small shrug to her comment.

“I won’t object as long as I’m the one who makes you purr.”

He turned as best he could inside her arms and wrapped his own around her pulling her up to him and giving her a proper kiss a grin on his face. He had a bit of a speech prepared, but seeing her and how beautiful she was most of what he had worked out in his head went out the window.. She was stunning. Even outside of the dress, and he was sure that was going to make her perfection.

“Before we get fully ready...I wanted to go over a bit about the Club, the people I work with, and uh kinda the things they don’t teach you at the school about the place.”

He smiled at her working the words over in his head, it was hard to explain after all it was neutral ground in a way. It wasn’t like the school where you knew who your friends were, who was against you, and who you had petty issues with. It was an ecosystem of good and bad, deceit, and back stabbing. He was bringing Kitty into his world, and he wanted her to be prepared for it.

“You are going to get an inside look into my world.”

He smiled at her as he took her hand and lead her into the bed room and sat on the edge of the bed pulling her into his arms next to him to have this talk.

She nodded, and had half expected that. She’d had a little bit of experience with the Club through their...less than stellar interactions, and this was a Club function. Did it make her a little bit uncomfortable knowing some of these people were bona fide bad people? A little..but she trusted Mannie.

Hanging the garment bag up, Kitty sat on the bed, criss cross applesauce. She didn’t want distractions when he was telling her what she needed to know. “Too bad telepathy isn’t in either of our suits...but, I promise to not do anything on purpose to make you look bad..” Her smile was wide. Not that she would...the worse thing she had to offer was...well, she was one of the good guys. She was a good guy, and he was Hellfire Club, and he was bringing her into his world.

“Okay….hit me with what I need to know….” She was a very smart woman, and would do her best to remember everything told to her.

He nodded as he took her hand and gave it a soft squeeze.

“It’s not that I am worried about you doing something, more of I want you ready for what you are going to see. It’s a grey area. Powerful senators will be there rubbing shoulders with criminals, every now and then you will have Brotherhood crossing paths with X-men. It’s neutral ground, it’s like Vegas what happens there, stays there.”

He smiled at her as he left a soft chuckle out.

“Everyone plays nice-ish, so they can go home to plot how they undermine and stab each other in the back. And trust me with you on my arm I could never look bad. I just don’t want you to see people have hurt you or your your friends and you to panic.”

He frowned a moment collecting his thoughts.

“It’s complicated the life I live. But you don’t get into backroom meetings, and political sway without it being complicated. But just go in, and have fun. This isn’t a impress my bosses. It’s a date.”

She gave him a reassuring kiss on the cheek. “Hey...it’s not like Eric is going to be there, and ask me to dance….” After all, what was the chances that Magneto, the head of the Brotherhood, would be there! “And remember, everyone loves me...well, save Bobby - but that’s his problem….So...I’m not planning on starting anything unless they hurt you….And then...I’ll just...phase their heart out of their body, or something….” She grinned widely. She wasn’t serious….was she?

He grinned playfully at her, and leaned into the kiss happily.

“Well depending on who’s heart you phase out, that could do wonders for my standing with some of the darker elements inside the club who see me as a weak link.”

He grinned and gave her a wink as he wrapped her up in his arms pulling her close. So his lips could find hers and kiss her deeply.

“Besides you are to young and spry for Erik. He would throw a hip out trying to keep up with you on the dance floor. Remember I’ve seen those moves, and Kitty turns into a panther on the prowl out there.”

He kissed her again as he stood up. Grabbing his dress shirt off it’s hanger.

“Let’s see how amazing we look, and then go make some supermodels hate us.”

With a nod, Kitty grabbed her dress and slid into the voluminous bathroom. Unlike many woman her age, she wasn’t a prissy one. She was more comfortable in jeans and a button up shirt than a dress - but she couldn’t deny this was making her feel in ways she never had. Of course, it also made her feel more than a little provencial - but hey! With Manny as her guide, what could go wrong!

She’d opted to keep her hair down and loose; it was one of her favorite features of herself, and she just felt more elegant that was. It had been loosely curled and styled so it wouldn’t fall into frizz, but otherwise, she had nothing in her hair. Her nails were painted a burgundy; they were deliberately matched to the deep red that would accent Manny’s outfit. Before shopping, he’d just warned her - no white. They were black court, and that was taboo. Sarah had helped her with the other aspects of picking a dress. She didn’t feel sophisticated and sexy, so a tight dress wouldn’t work. She loved dancing, and knew Manny would indulge her in that arena, so she needed a skirt that was free for movement. Thank Goodness for Sarah and HER knowledge of the Club; she’d helped Kitty pick out the perfect Kitty dress.

The dress slid over her form and Kitty shivered a little as the material hit her skin. Things she’d never had to worry about: Backless dresses. Now she knew what type of underwear was needed for that….She wanted to give Manny the whole picture, so she slipped on her silver heels (with painted toes!) and looked at her makeup. That was another thing she learned; there was setting spray out there that made sure your makeup was perfect for extended time. All she had to do was bring her lipstick in her small clutch. Tiny drop earrings finished her ensemble.

Stepping out, she felt suddenly shy - the little girl dressed for the big girl party. Twirling her dress, she asked, “How do I look?”

He stared.

She said some words.

And he just stared some more. A grin crept across his lips as he simply whispered.

“Like perfection.”

He had a surprise for her though, he gave himself a once over in the mirror to make sure his suit was all in place and he took her hand leading her to the full length mirror in the room. He smiled and kissed her neck from behind.

“Eyes closed. I have a surprise for you.”

Once her eyes were closed he pulled a small velvet box from his pocket and opened it. A thin silver chain that went to thicker silver bands on each side, the bands were encrusted with small diamonds along the side, the two bands connected to a pendant that was a small shield with swords crossed in the back, it was his family's crest. The necklace sparkled as light hit it, it was handcrafted to his desire, and every diamond was certified as real on it.

“Open your eyes.”

Her smile was real; her relief that Manny thought she looked good. She’d been worried - but it seemed her research and her consult with Sarah had paid off. She had even made sure the heels would work for the night with dancing. She couldn’t wait to dance.

“Yeah?”

Looking at them there? Together in the mirror? Kitty actually felt beautiful, and not the mousy kid sister that had defined her life. But she closed her eyes, and did what he asked. She felt the cool touch of the metal and it made her gasp just a little, and then giggle - but when she opened her eyes? The gasp was real. Touching it reverently, she said, “Oh, Manny...it’s beautiful.” She knew how much his family meant to him, so she had a guess - but wanted to be certain… “Is this your family’s?”

He nodded and turned her kissing her softly.

“It’s the crest that was printed on every shield of the De la Roche legion during the Roman empire. Was for protection from enemies, and to spread word they were about to smash against the rock, the meaning of the family name.”

He smiled offering her his arm.

“The limo is outside, ready?”

“Well, I should protected this evening, then...shouldn’t I. “ Picking up her small clutch and her mask, she laughed. “Tell the truth. You deal with upper class woman...where in the world am I supposed to keep this while we dance?” She showed her small purse. It was a clutch and big enough for her phone and lipstick. That was about it.

Taking his arm, she followed him out. “Lead on, MacDuff!”
He smirked at her.

“I assume we leave it at the table, or the women I know are very loose…”

He let his voice trail off as he gave her a teasing wink and lead her outside to the Limo. They were met by the same driver from their first date, if Manny had picked up any habits from the Club it was change was bad. Routines and knowing who had your life in their hands mattered. And this driver was quite loyal to him, and had a very strong desire to always keep him safe.

They drove to the Club and pulled up it behind a line of other limos dropping off important people. It wasn’t a fanfare outside the area was largely clear of extra people, the Club ran a tight ship and with so many people in one place the outside was going to be well looked after. When they got to the front of the line he pulled on his black mask for the masquerade and slipped out of the limo and offered his hand to Kitty. The pair slipped out and walked into the main entrance, the club was decked out for the night. A live band was playing soft music as the guests entered, the servers were whisking around with trays of drinks and finger foods. As the courts entered the women of the court’s or women with a court member were handed small roses matching the color of the court they were apart of.

The room was abuzz with murmurs and talking as groups formed off. Those vying for face time with members of the Club they might not always get a chance to were circling like vultures looking to catch the ear for just a moment of those with power to change the tide of theirs lives, their businesses, and other things. Manny guided Kitty through the crowd and over to a group of other Black Court pawns he often worked with, he introduced her around the group with a smile as she snagged two champignons off a passing waiter and handed her one.

“Welcome to the Hellfire Club Kitten.”

He smiled at her as he took a sip of his drink, his eyes scanning the room to see who else from the other Courts might wander in for them to meet and introduce Kitty too. He was eager for her to see a side of the Club not built around the battlefield, a chance for her to see the people he worked for not the men and women entrenched in battle. It was going to be a good night. He could feel it, he had the love of his life on his arm, the closest thing he had to friends around him, and a chance to let her be apart of his life he had to shield her from so often due to the secrecy of it. It was a night for the Club to show off, flaunt its power and pedigree to the rich and famous of the city.

She had to laugh, again, as he teased her. Okay, well...if her purse was going to be safe anywhere, she supposed it was at a table of one of the inner circle of the club, right? Unless some White Court grabbed it - but she was willing to bet good money on her security….she wondered if the Court needed any help with that. Wouldn’t THAT be a great way to try and build bridges and all that jazz. Here, let me help you with your Cybersecurity..cause that’s what Kitty did. Well, one of the many things she did….

Kitty greeted the limo driver by name, thanking her for driving them. Twice in a year a limo! She grinned and waited until the door was closed before leaning over and teasing, “I know you just want to try acting out that scene from 50 Shades….” Of course, not now. There was no way she was messing up ANY part of her outfit. She did hold up her black andred filigree mask, teasing, “There is a joke somewhere in here….”

When their limo pulled up, there was a moment where her worried Spiked. There were SO many people from a world she so did not belong in! Taking a deep breath, she double checked, “You’ll make sure I don’t make an idiot of myself, right? Because right now? I feel a little like Kaylee…” She had no clue if he’d get the Firefly reference, but that didn’t matter. The door was being opened, and Manny was getting out. Kitty slipped on her mask and put her hand in Manny’s as she alighted from the limo.

She thanked the person who gave her a black rose.

Once they were out of earshot, she leaned in and grinned, “Don’t they know black roses mean death?” She was amused, but that was all. It was apparently Manny was known, if not well known. She shook hands with those who wanted them, and greeted those who greeted them. Kitty was social to begin with, but she was on her absolute best behavior...which, in some ways, put her at a disadvantage.

“Welcome to the Hellfire Club, Kitten.”

For a moment, she inwardly cursed. Perhaps she should have tried to have Manny call her Kate. It had worked at MIT, and she was fairly certain people would hear Kitty, and they might think less of Manny because of it… But there were all these people here, and she didn’t want to say anything in front of them.

Ah well.

Tonight was going to be a good night….
--------------------
user posted image
Hellfire Club
The night for love and lovers – Valentine’s. It was one of the Club’s favorite holidays; for them, it was bigger than Halloween, bigger than Christmas, only New Year’s Eve came a close second to the night for love.

In a sea of white and black, and splashes of red, it was no surprise that the Black King was at the center of the largest concentration of black, and yet, instead of being swallowed by the black around him, a color that should make him vanish, he seemed to stand out and have more presence because of it. He was dressed in shades of black – deep velvet black, shiny silky black, and a few red highlights in honor of the holiday. However, it was his mask that was special and identified who he was, if there was ever any doubt for anyone who saw him; his mask was created of darkforce and stayed on his face without any ties to keep it in place. It covered the top portion of his face, including his eyes, and, in a show of his good mood this night, he’d added a pair of elegant devil horns curving from his temples, and wisps of black mist wafting from his mask. Though he was confined to one color, Max still managed to be a strutting peacock.

The woman in his arms kept pace as they danced. She looked up into the black that covered his eyes and smiled a thousand watt charming smile, the kind of smile that should be on television, which was her dream and the thing she would willing sell her soul to the devil for, to get her in front of cameras. It was a tempting offer to have one more tv anchor in his debt. She was actually a good reporter or merely a face?

“I will keep you in mind,” Max replied and the woman nodded eagerly, although woodenly as she tried too hard to look poised.

He left her on the dance floor and with a subtle gesture to his attendants, signaled that he was finished dancing for the moment, leaving several ladies and a few men looking on hopefully and biding their time until the next dance and chance to speak with him.

Though Max stood still, his sight gauged the swell of the crowd and decided that enough had arrived to make his official welcome announcement as King of one the host courts. With a word to an attendant, the band’s music died away softly. Max strode to the center of the ballroom. When he was in position, darkness roiled under his feet and he rose on a dais above the crowd.

“Ladies, gentlemen, guests… Hellfire welcomes you to our celebration of love; certainly, the finest and noblest, emotion of all. Plato said, ‘Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.’ Tonight, let the music move you,” he said, smiling as his words were greeted with a smattering of good-natured laughter, “and be a poet,” he said, giving the crowd a smoldering smile that made many in the crowd chuckle and murmur in agreement. He lifted his hand as if to offer a toast but found it without a glass. With seemingly effortless ease, Longshot provided his king with a timely glass. “To love,” the Black King said, lifting the slender flute in a toast and releasing his guests’ attention back to their conversations.
Single
played by:
Cuckoos
Others
At Xaviers the girls had never had the opportunity to attend a formal dance. Though they had protested and campaigned for the chance to throw some form of graduation ball or prom they had always fallen flat with the attempts, mostly because while they yearned to attend that which they had read about in books or seen in movies the girls had no interest in actually putting the effort in that an event of that sort needed. Now that they had left the school, the chance for that sort of thing seemed to have dropped dramatically. While they were clones of Emma Frost they weren't her, their names weren't on invites to the high society events where beautiful dresses and impecable makeup was needed.

Two chance meetings of course made quite a difference on that front however. One with the White Queen herself, a meeting that the girls hadn't quite yet decided if it really was chance or at least in some small part a set up. Then there was the Black Pawn, Manuel. Cocky, just a bit narcisistic but he did manage to come out with the right words to pique the five telepaths interests. And so it was the girls ended up with an invite to an event like those they had dreamed about. The Hellfire Club's Valentines... formal? Ball? Prom? Oh who cared.

It of course meant one thing. Shopping. New shoes they already had, thanks to Manuel, wearing them however was likely to come with its own set of problems and questions should they run into him. A new dress, well that was what they needed. The five sisters had probably been in to at least half of the City's boutique designer shops, they had visited Chanel, Prada and every other couture in Manhattan before finally settling. What to wear had been a big topic for debate. Sure with it being valentines, red was an obvious choice but definitely a little garrish. A little black dress, yes it was perfect for every situation, Coco Chanel said so, but it also had the same problem that a white dress came with. It showed allegiance to one of the courts.

It would be known around the courts by this time who they were, of that the five telepaths were sure. More importantly it would be known who their mother was. Emma Frost former Queen of the white court. White it was. Like Miss Frost white looked good on them and so fashion won out over statement or picking sides. Nails and hair were done after college and a makeup artist had been hired to finish the look of perfection the sisters were used to.

Arrival in a town car was a little less exccesive than they were expecting, cars lined up and slowly moved forward until it was at the door and passengers could dissembark with minimal need for walking.

::It's not very impressive is it::

Esme stated as the girls stood at the entrance looking up at the building that houses perhaps the most exclusive club in New York.

::It's the outside, did you expect a gothic cathedral or something?::

::Well no.. but at least a red carpet::

Sophie shook her head. Maybe she had expected a bit more fanfare upon arrival but she certainly wasn't going to be the one to mention it.

As they entered though it certainly changed. It's humble facade gave way to equisite decorations and furniture. They weren't yet grown enough to be mistaken for Miss Frost but their entrance was enough to turn a few heads and cause a couple of murmers. Lifting masks to cover the top half of their faces in perfect synchronization that a dancing troupe could only dream of the girls scanned the crowds searching out faces they knew of recognized. Politicians and actors, some hidden behind masks but still recognizable.

Max Coleridge they recognized. A friend of Miss Frost's and because his children had attended the school.. Very handsome and formidable looking they were quite awed by the roiling mask that hid his blond eye and the darkforce platform that lifted him above the crowd. Though the use of powers was hardly a rare sight at Xaviers they didn't often cause the same stir as this did. While many in the crowd were mutants, a lot were not, a lot were just businessmen, people who lived in the public eye and men and women who held a lot of power in their grasp. All of them turned their attention to the mutant.

Grabbing champagne from a passing tray the girls turned their attention to him. Noticing Longshot with a smile as he gave the Black King a flute at the end of the speech.
Single
played by:
Terry
Daken
Others
Already, Daken was starting to grow bored with New York, playing with his father's family and friends were one thing, but they were not enough to keep him entertained for more than a flash in the pan. Getting the better of Logan was one thing, but what next? It couldn't be Daken's only focus. The people he was targeting were far too mundane, in fact, they all left something of a bad taste in Daken's mouth to know that his father had become so dull that he now associated almost exclusively with individuals that lacked all ambition.

The loss of focus had put Daken in a mood, a dark stormcloud had hung over him throughout the last few days and there was little that made him feel any better - he'd tried splashing money; clothes, gadgets, a car, none of them had provided him with the distraction that he needed to make him feel any better.

What he needed was a bloodbath but as yet, he hadn't found anyone that could possibly give him the sort of fight that he wanted. Daken was almost bored enough to consider going into a seedy bar and starting a fight just for the hell of it, but that would be over in less than two minutes and he already knew that he'd come out the victor, there weren't any flatscans out there that could beat him.

Daken had just been about to fall into a pit of despair when he caught wind of a party that he definitely was not going to be invited to. The Hellfire Club was a global organisation, the rich boys country club but on a global scale.

Not to mention it had its seedier side.

Of course, neither of Daken's parents had ever amounted to much, and therefore an inherited invite to something like that was definitely not on the table. Though since when had a lack of invite ever stopped Daken from doing anything? Getting into a Hellfire party was going to be a challenge, but it wasn't going to be all that difficult for someone like him, Daken was confident of that much.

With his mind set on a course of action, Daken went about putting it into place, within an hour Daken was showered, shaved, suited, booted and out of the door. The roar of the Ferrari engine was unmistakable as it moved through the streets of New York, it was a head turner, and Daken liked nothing more than for people's eyes to be on him, he looked good, smelt good and he was ready for some fun. Who would have thought under that well turned out exterior that there was a feral mutant waiting for a fight?

The Ferrari pulled into the drive of the club, with Daken making sure to rev the engine a few times as he stopped at the front. Stepping out of the car, Daken chucked the keys to the attendant, "no scratches," he moved past the attendant and towards the security who were stationed at the main entrance.

"Name?" The guard asked with an iPad in hand.

Daken looked at him plainly, as he began to flood the guards with pheromones intended to calm and make them more receptive to what Daken had to say. "Daken. I am a guest of the White Queen." Daken stated plainly, waiting for the guards to process what it was that he had just said.

Each of the burly men's minds became much more receptive as their brain chemistry was altered by Daken's pheromones. "Last minute addition, I'm from out of town," Daken explained, his eyes didn't break away from the guard with the iPad.

"Very well." The guard spoke, "Head on in." He nodded and stepped back, allowing Daken room to enter.

Without hesitation, Daken stepped on in, grabbing the first glass of whatever, that was going past on a silver tray carried by a waitress intended to be little more than eye candy.
Single
played by:
Lauren
Hellfire Club
Valentines. A popular event, though not a real favourite of her own. Betsy preferred Hallow e'en. Christmas, even. Perhaps it was a cultural thing... Valentines had never been a huge deal back on her home turf, but as White Queen, she certainly was not about to hide away for such an event. Not least because she was expecting some company later on, which would hopefully break up the routine nicely. To the outsider, this whole scene, the parties, the debauchery, was simply a hedonistic way of life for the idle rich, but it was in part a mask, part business.

Dressed in court finery, her long cape, corset, shorts, stockings and so on, were in snowy white, made of lace, leather and silk. Her long hair, purple as usual, was pinned up in curls, dressed with pearls and feathers and she wore a mask of lace that resembled a butterfly at a fleeting glance. Descending the stairs, she smiled and nodded, but an approaching pawn caught her eye and she paused. The pawn clearly needed to say something.

"Yes?"

"Forgive me, my Queen...it is just...Your guest? Is not..."

Betsy rolled her eyes slightly. "Is not what? Don't be coy."

"Not whom we expected."

Her mind flickered out to the guard on duty and she sighed inwardly. Not whom she had expected indeed. So, her true invite was not yet arrived. That was no problem; she had enough patience to wait, because it was going to be a long, long night as it was and there was plenty of time for her to see her guest later on.

The man who had claimed to be her guest, she did not know. Had not seen. He was handsome enough, but passing looks was not nearly satisfactory recompense for the audacity. Glancing to the pawn, Psylocke gave a sly smirk.

"I can deal with this myself. Don't fret," she swiped a glass of wine from a passing server and sipped it as she continued down the stairway, then into the main room. Inner Circle, members of the Club and their guests alike were all gathered, enjoying themselves, or so she hoped. Right now, she was a tad too preoccupied to be a brilliant hostess, but she was not the only person there who could see to the guests. If this little problem was not fixed, then that was just going to set up all sorts of problems for later on in the evening.

Approaching the man, she regarded him carefully. He was faintly familiar. "Good evening. I hear that you are my guest. Is that so?"

How big's your wallet?
played by:
Si
Others
Black was almost exclusively the only colour Stacy dressed in on any normal given day, with the odd splash of red or gold. Despite essentially being a bipedal rattlesnake, she still considered her complexion a ‘Late Autumn’, suited to deep, warm shades. But black and red both carried connotations among Hellfire crowds, something she preferred to avoid in mixed company (despite most of her history being tangled with… certain courts). So once again she’d taken her remaining preference for gold and simply run with it.

The last time Stacy had attended a Hellfire soirée things had been a little more low key. But for a themed masquerade ball, she allowed herself a far more ostentatious approach. The whole outfit positively dripped with gold, right down to the flaked leaf lacquered onto her talons. A full blown Midas-tapped mutant diva. Scaled textures on her mask, epaulettes and headpiece all echoed her natural snakeskin while the accessories hinted at a venomous quality, snakes and scorpions sculpted from rose gold and bronze. There was a subtext to be read in the decadent choice. Stacy would never care who someone was affiliated with; her bottom line was simply “Be fun, or be rich; and don’t step on me”.

The cut of her dress, inspired by a Grace Jones number in “View to a Kill”, had dual benefits. It gave room at the back for her rattletail to extend unhindered from the base of her spine. And it left arms, waist and the small of her back exposed – areas where the hands of others were most likely to rest if drawn into her personal space. If she wanted to affect anyone close it meant she never even needed to lift a finger first.

At the club entrance, all the women (or at least anyone perceived as female) were being handed small roses by a concierge team. All exclusively in Hellfire colours of course, which in most cases matched the outfits on parade. But when it had come to Stacy’s turn the little pawn only stared at her, at the cellophane-wrapped flowers in his hands, then back again with mild confusion that she hadn’t arrived with anyone. “W… What colour… ma’am?”

“None.” Stacy said simply before softening a little. “It’s okay honey, I’m not the prom date corsage-y type.” And with that she was gone, winding through the crowds to see who caught her eye. They didn’t have to be familiar, they just had to look promising.

The room was abuzz with murmurs and talking as groups formed off. Those vying for face time with members of the Club they might not always get a chance to were circling like vultures looking to catch the ear, for just a moment, of those with power…” There were at least four among those numbers who thought Stacy would be attending as their plus one escort – an exotic status symbol to show off to peers and higher-ups… Mutantphobia was still rife in all kinds of circles. But for those who’d done the work of already getting one foot in the Hellfire door, it was no secret how many of the Inner Circle carried x-genes. Stacy sold them on mutation being the season’s must-have accessory. It made getting through the front door so much easier than the tactics most other thieves would’ve resorted to.

She’d told each of those looking to bring her in: “I’ll meet you there,” and showed up with little more than a purse and a collection of contingency plans for dealing with the men and women expecting her. Nothing unpleasant of course, there was no point sacrificing repeat business. But the joy of Hellfire parties was in networking to drum up legitimate new business too. That and a whole lot more fun than the average ‘work event’.

Given her distinctive appearance, some recognised her from prior pleasure clubs appearances. She was happy enough to hand out party favours to those familiar with her powers. On request, she tossed little chemical nudges here and there to make people high or happy, soothed nagging headaches or jangled nerves so people could get on with whatever they’d come for – dancing, flirting, sucking up. Just no intoxicating anyone enough to cause a scene. If the humans wanted to do that, they’d have to stick to alcohol like everybody else. It was the best way to stir-up word of mouth and it wasn’t long before she was handing out her cell number to people who’d never hired her before.

She was peeling herself away from her latest mark when Max - one of the few people she respected for being able to out-diva her – called for attention of the attendees. “Ladies, gentlemen, guests… Hellfire welcomes you to our celebration of love; certainly, the finest and noblest, emotion of all…”

Stacy had to stifle a snort, swallowing it with a sip of Cristal. Love in the hellfire flames? It wasn’t so much cynicism about the club though, just the concept of inherent nobility or suchlike. Love, boiled down, was C8H11NO2 + C10H12N2O + C43H66N12O12S2 – Doctor Nemesis and Regan Wyngarde taught her that. Dopamine, seratonin, oxytocin. Mutants like her could summon it at will, a lab could manufacture it. Scan a brain and it showed up on neurotransmitters as an addiction, not an emotion. And overdosing on any of the constituents could cause extreme paranoia or schizophrenia…

“To love,” the Black King said, lifting the slender flute in a toast.

Then again… who better to extol the virtues than a hedonist like Coleridge? Behind that mask of dark force was a pressure cooker who blew off steam in bouts of sex and mind-altering substance abuse. ‘Love’ was probably just an indulgence with a calculated risk and cost, as much as any other vice to him…

Her attention drifted to measure the crowd response. The general approval was as obvious to her eyes and pointed ears as it was her reptilian senses. Her gaze eventually settled on a quintet in white. With masks on they didn’t register as anyone she should know on site. And yet… As she drew a few steps closer and caught their scent, an odd vignette popped into her head.

<Stacy held out a tobacco-laden silver platter with an obliging smile, a vague impression of all the under-dressed Hellfire pawns who’d ever had to serve her an hors d’oeuvre. Except there was illusory smoke still curling from her nostrils like some bipedal dragon.

Lifting a hand, Esme reached out for the cigarette only to be pulled back by her sisters

“What… they aren't real.”

“So…”

“You'll get addicted.”

“I'm not going to get addicted from one fake cigarette Celeste. Gawd!”

“Live a little.” Stacy winked at Esme, every bit the serpent in the garden holding out a forbidden apple.

Put off by her sisters teasings and accusations, Esme waved a hand and shook her head.
>

…Had she dreamed that? Misremembered something? Stacy came to a stop, feeling confused. Amber eyes narrowed behind her gold mask while one clawed fingertip ran round and around the edge of her champagne flute restlessly…
Single
played by:
Kacy
Hellfire Club
Joint Post: Kitty & Manny
=============================

The room was a buzz. It was that type of night, the inner circle was out. It was a night to show off, to peacock some and maybe get noticed beyond just your rank if you were lucky. Manuel had been working on gaining more favor with the King, and while Kitty was never apart of that plan, have a tie to the X-men was never a bad thing. And it was a thing he felt wouldn’t be unwise to remind the King of. His roots were in the school, and the school had powerful people, his being on good terms with them could only help the club if they needed to reach back. As Max got up to speak Manuel leaned over and whispered into Kitty’s ear.

“That would be the King of the Black Court. Think of him as my boss.”

Kitty nodded, one arm around Manny’s, the other holding onto the champagne glass. She felt...a bit overwhelmed..no, more in awe of everything about her. The lights, the spectacle - and all the people! Being around the Jean Grey and Emma Frosts of the world had allowed Kitty to develop without any real sense of her own beauty. Tonight? That feeling of not being as attractive as the others was there, very much so - but she found she didn’t care, either. Manny had spent the last six weeks working on their relationship,and she was happy.

Leaning into his whisper, she nodded. For once, she wished she was a telepath; so much easier to have a conversation with the mind than words. Easier to keep it private, as well. “He’s...impressive...and apparently not ashamed to flaunt his mutant status.” That made Kitty happy. She knew Emma had been White Queen...and with Manny a pawn, and this guy King, the chess metaphor was obvious. Smiling faintly, she asked, “Who’s his Knight? “ That would be the one to really watch out for, right? The one who was to protect the King? Not that she was anything but happily on Manny’s arm, with vague possible plans for later that night….

He pulled her close as Max spoke and raised his glass to the King as he wrapped up his welcome to the club. The room was running high with emotions, everyone was there for a good time.

“In this world he is a King in more then title. His will is handled as law, and anyone who takes issue...well not a good place to be.”

He smirked at Kitty. She was perceptive and smart, already asking questions about the Knights. Manuel knew the Knights in passing, Manuel was very much a lover and not a fighter so staying abreast of the Knights was often his survival plan. He pointed towards Longshot with his pinky as he held his glass, he was unassuming but Manuel knew the boy was more than his fair share of dangerous. He leaned over and kissed her cheek softly.

“Would you like to meet him?”

Snorting quietly, she said “Who? The blond, or the King?”

He smiled at her cute little snort.
“The King, the blonde scares me too much.”

That made Kitty laugh out loud.

Twisting in his arms, she breathed in his ear, “Don’t worry. You keep forgetting I’m a ninja. I know how to kill a man with just my pinky finger…” She was smiling - which meant she was kidding. Right? Manny couldn’t quite be sure - and Kitty did nothing to tip her hand either way. The truth of the matter was, yes, Kitty was absolutely, quite possibly the most...pure? Person in the room...and possibly the nicest, but she was far from the most vulnerable. She could kill easier than many in the room - not that she enjoyed that part of herself. Most of the time. Briefly, her memories skimmed back to touching the mobster’s heart with her hand, and the threats to burying him alive in the mount. Yes, Kitty had a dark side...she just didn’t acknowledge it often. Well, ever, really.

Kissing Manny’s cheek lightly, she promised, “I’ll protect you…” and slid back around to be on his arm again, black rose in hand, the champagne glass handed off to one of the servers.

“It doesn’t really matter if I want to; it will make you look good to bring me over….and I assume he will he know who I am.” She was bemused; Kitty held no illusions about the Club. Max’s children were at the mansion. While she hadn’t directly taught them (yet), she’d spent half her life there. It was hard not to know her. So, she was pretty sure Manny introducing an X-Men to the Black King would get him brownie points. She was all for getting him Brownie points….

He rolled his eyes and pulled her close to him, giving her a small kiss as she offered him protection. Giving her a light squeeze to reassure everything was fine. She was feeling nervous at times, and it was similar to the first date at the club, where she felt out of place. He recognized that feeling off her. He leaned in close to her, and whispered.

“You just be you, you're impressive enough. And you are right where you belong at my side.”

He smiled at her giving her a small nod, he lead her towards Max a smile on his face weaving through the crowd as he went. There was a bit of a crowd around the King, it was normal. But Manuel liked to make an entrance and the Club was a bit of home turf for him, being there everyday. His eyes glowed blue for a moment, as he boosted disinterest in the couple hanging on the outskirt for Max’s attention. Manual knew the man vaguely from the club, he threw some money around, but it was all fake boolster. It was amazing the things people would tell Manny when he asked… well maybe not amazing since he had the power to get them to open up. He tapped the man on the shoulder.

“Mind if we slip in to see Mr.Coleridge?”

The man shrugged and waved them through, as if he hadn’t been waiting for anything important and wandered off to bother someone else.

“Evening my King.”

He gave a small head bow to the man who was superior to him in all ways in this realm.

“I wanted to applaud you on quite the welcome speech. And introduce you to much prettier half Kitty Pryde.”

Kitty held out her hand; the way everyone was bowing and kissing, it seemed appropriate. The King could kiss it like a gentleman, shake it like a modern man, or ignore it and she would demurely return it to her side. The black rose was held in the hand entwined with Manny’s. “Good Evening….” There was a moment of intrepidation as she worried she would mess something up with titles. She should have asked Manny what to address him as. “I’m glad our meeting this time is a much more festive affair.” She was, of course, referring to when the Hellfire Club came to the aid of the X-Men when the mansion was blown up. Kitty had been there as an X-Men, and helped get the children, and anyone, really, to safety. So, while they had never formally been introduced, they had worked together of a sorts.

--------------------
user posted image
Single
played by:
Heather
Hellfire Club
Longshot did like a party. He was a pretty little thing and he was a lover of other pretty things. Most of those pretty things were female, but not all of them. He was charming, but not incredibly discerning. Pretty was the requirement, and so pretty was what he got, and that satisfied him thoroughly.

The party was a call back to the old days before the courts had splintered and the dark times fell on them. When Longshot had been rescued from his own emptiness after he destroyed Mojo and everything that he had known, the Hellfire Club was in its prime. It was a decadent place, and Longshot loved it. He enjoyed the sparkle and the glitter and the drink and the dance and well... everything. It was freedom to him, pure freedom, which was something that Longshot had never ever had before. Not before here.

He was currently dressed in his perfect black leathers, a simple domino mask pulled up on top of his blond hair, as he sprawled on a velvet couch across the laps of several pretty young pawns of all shades, sexes and courts, who fed him little chocolates, and sips of red wine, in between kisses, giggles and sweet nothings whispered in his ear. Happy Valentine's Day to him and to whichever of these pretty pawns came to his rooms tonight... which, let us be honest, would probably be all of them.

Keeping an eye on his king, Longshot was very clever to read when Coleridge was ready for his drink. He excused himself, and unfolded himself from their laps, to cross the room without an inkling of where he would get the champagne that his King required. It didn't matter because a star bloomed in his eye, and at the exact moment he extended his hand, a pawn passed by with a tray of glasses, one of which just fell to his grasp. As his King finished his speech, Longshot passed him the glass, and joined in the applause.

"Lovely sentiment, my King," he said "'To Love' indeed." He spotted Empath and his plus one waiting to speak with the King and he smirked, "I will leave you to your admirers."

His eyes lit over the room and he spotted the identical quintuplets known as the Stepford Cuckoos. "Oh, well, isn't that interesting," he murmured, and he slipped down the stairs, to where the five stared around them at the scene. "Well, isn't this lovely," he said, "The beauty of this place has increased by five hundred percent. It's almost a shame to suggest we find you masks, but in the spirit of the night, we should probably at least pretend to follow the rules..." he leaned closer and said, "at least until it's the most fun time to break them."
Single
played by:
Terry
Daken
Others
This party was everything that he expected, it appealed to all his senses from the well-played music of the live band, the various scents that both the women and the men assaulted Daken's sense of smell. Had he not been so used to blocking out senses that could push him into sensory overload, then this party would have been something horrid for him. Instead, he could get used to it. Daken was about to go and mingle when he was stopped in his tracks when it was he that was approached.

"Ah..." Daken paused for a moment before taking a sip of his drink. "You must be the White Queen?" Daken's examined Betsy in all her beauty. "I expect this is the point where normally a gatecrasher would throw themselves at your feet and beg for forgiveness?" A coy smirk crossed his lips, "If you ask nicely I might just do that for you." He went into something of a bow, that might could have been read as either incredibly arrogant or one of genuine interest. "I'll be honest, I was expecting someone far older, not someone closer to my own age." He was pushing his luck, he knew that, and he was going to continue to do so.

"I suppose it would be rude of me not introduce myself," Daken spoke honestly, "Most call me Daken, and yes, I gatecrashed." Daken's eyes turned towards where the great 'peacock' was stood preening his feathers for all to see. He looked back towards Betsy, as he spoke in a manner that was incredibly bold, "And by the looks of it I arrived not a minute too soon." Clearly, he wasn't much impressed by what he saw, though that was not the case when it came to the queen.

"I promise I'll be on my best behaviour." Which was to say, if she kicked him out, he would hate to have to make a mess with those guards, sure they were imposing the businessmen and women of the Hellfire Club but to Daken, they looked like a good two or three minutes of fun. "So what do you say? Can I stay?" Daken's eyebrows raised as he looked towards her with a mischievous grin, "I'll even offer to dance."

With a fluid movement, Daken placed the empty flute onto a passing tray and grabbed two more, holding one out to the White Queen. "For the lady." Even now, he was going to continue pushing his luck until it stopped working altogether.
Hellfire Club
Max smiled and nodded as people once again started to cluster around him, looking for favors or simply wanting to be noticed by the king. He’d dimly been aware of his Pawn, Empath, and a woman at his side, coming toward him and regarded them blindly when Manny spoke.

“Evening my King. I wanted to applaud you on quite the welcome speech. And introduce you to my much prettier half Kitty Pryde.”

“Thank you, Manuel,” said Max, returning the head tilt of acknowledgement. “Of all the special occasions we have here, a celebration of love, lust, and desire is among the most enjoyable.” The serpentine Stacy X was no telepath but she was a shrewd observer of people and her evaluation of the Black King as a pressure cooker, controlled and calculating most of the time but who blew off steam with bouts of sex and other vices, was disturbingly astute.

Kitty offered her hand and from behind his devil mask, Max Coleridge considered her. He considered whether or not he wanted to charm and dazzle her from his Pawn. And in a flash that could’ve seemed like a long moment of calculation until ultimately he decided, no. Kitty Pyde was not his type; she was too pure, too nice, too friendly and loving. He wondered for a moment if Empath had influenced that decision, and made him more disinterested than he made normally be toward the young woman. But no, he doubted his young and ambitious Pawn would take the risk of using his powers on his king. On reflection, the king was pleased and impressed by Manuel’s good sense and restraint, and gave him another nod but left the reason unspoken; he knew it and he was fairly sure Manuel knew it also, although the exchange might’ve left Kitty in the dark.

The exchange took barely a flickering moment. Max took Kitty’s hand and bowed over it, bringing it up and brushed by his lips in an expression of old-fashion gentlemanly manners. “Miss Pryde, please allow me to personally welcome you to our party. I hope you have a wonderful night,” he said and released her hand.
“Good Evening…. I’m glad our meeting this time is a much more festive affair.”

“Indeed, Miss Pryde,” Max nodded solemnly at the memory of Xavier’s school destroyed and Purifier soldiers attacking the fleeing children. “Let us hope that those circumstances never happen again. In fact, I’m certain that’s the case or I would never have placed the lives of my children in your care. However,” he went on, shaking off those grim thoughts, “tonight isn’t a time to dwell on past tragedies.” He extended his hand to Kitty, “The X-Men’s training has always impressed me: fighting, training with your special abilities, keeping your calm in stressful situations,” he said and grinned. “Very impressive. But does it include dancing, along with other forms of martial arts?” he joked. For the social creatures of Hellfire, the dancefloor was an equally important battleground. “I’m sure Manuel wouldn’t begrudge his king a first dance with a lovely woman, when he will have your charming company for the rest of the evening.”

OOC - Crypt said that Kitty accepted Max's invitation to dance, and they'll take a turn around the dancefloor in a JP.
Single
played by:
Cuckoos
Others
It was incredible the lengths people went to for a party, not that the Cuckoos were going to complain about that. They had waited all their lives to attend something like this.... Ok that may have only been three or so years but it was still a lifetime. The ammount of money and power that waltzed and convered within this ballroom was likely to be more than the sum of quite a few countries. Manuel had showed them in the shop how liberal he was with using his powers, and they knew enough about Miss Frosts history to know that she might not have always been as restrained with hers as she was now. They wondered how many deals, sales and even power relationships were decided within these walls, and who was actually making them. Even Manuel, having called him a Diet Telepath didn't seem to stack up in a place like this. His powers were infinitely useful here. No wonder telepath's were quite common within Hellfire.

As Max finished his speech the girls joined the quiet applause and watched as everybody very easily slid back into their escapades and revelry. The band started up, people began mingling, the dancing resumed. It all seemed so rehearsed, as if they had done this a million times before. Which they probably had. Of course it left the girls feeling a little out of their depth, not that they were going to show it. But where to start, what to do, how to act. The five girls might have been supremely confident in themselves but they didn't want to make a fool of themselves, not here. Not in front of these people.

Didn't take long for somebody to find them once the Black King's speech was finished. Smooth words were something the sisters were fully used to, replying to them was usually a pretty cold affair with knockbacks and often thinly veiled insults. Reading minds of course gave them an inkling into what the ultimate goal behind the words was, but with someone of Longshots reputation they didn't need telepathy to know what his goal was. A childish interest in things that was very quick to move on to other things, they didn't imagine he was the type to push things as they usually just fell how they may, usually in his favour.

With a small curtsey each of the the girls lifted masks to their faces and fluttered eyelashes behind them. While they were not yet to the point of being interested in anything of a sexual nature they did at least understand the idea of idle flirting and what it entailed.

"You didn't think we'd come to a party without a complete outfit did you?"

If anybody in the world was going to be able to understand the girls, it was going to be Longshot. He was the only other clone they knew about, he was much younger than he appeared, they were pretty sure he had a slight childlike innocence that they could identify with and his powers were supposedly very powerful.

"So is it just luck that brings the only clones in the city together tonight?"

"Or were you at least going to ask us to dance?"

Single
played by:
Kacy
Hellfire Club
He nodded back to the King as he watched Max turn his attention back to Kitty, it was clear who the more interesting f the pair of them was and Manuel was more than ok with that, after all he was not above living off the name power of the girl he was dating, any advantage was a good one in his mind.

"I'm sure Manuel wouldn't begrudge his king a first dance with a lovely woman, when he will have your charming company for the rest of the evening."

He nodded and slipped his arm away from Kitty's waste with a smile.

"Of course my King, I'd not deny you a dance with my lovely Kitten."

He gave Kitty a small kiss on the cheek as he slipped back along side other members of the Court, snagging himself a glass of wine as a waiter passed by. His lips sipping it as he watched Kitty with his King. He was well aware of Max's reputation, so to say he was a but worried about the outcome of the dance and his plans for the night was an understatement. But he trusted Kitty, and knew she could handle herself even in his world, but the King was quite the charmer so Manuel couldn't help but worry a bit.

--------------------
user posted image
How big's your wallet?
played by:
Si
Others
Stacy let herself be distracted just long enough for the Red Knight to sidle over and try his luck on the five in white. Which… well it was Longshot’s luck, wasn’t it. He was bound to get something worthwhile out of them, in one sense or another. Failing all else, she might try asking him about the girls later.

It was enough time to finally finish off her first glass of bubbly and switch it for another on a passing tray. It wasn’t that Stacy even particularly liked champagne, she just always drank more when she couldn’t smoke. It slipped down like soda water. She could hold her liquor fairly well, Wolverine and Gambit could attest to that much recently. So why hold back? And there was also a childish joy to be found in downing a luxury she would never bother buying for herself outside of parties like this.

Ripping her gaze away from the Cuckoos, her attention eventually settled back on Max and the couple he was talking to. He bowed to kiss the girl’s hand like an old-fashioned gent, implying the girl had likely been judged as useful as she was pretty.

She sighed through her nose, a sad noise despite the smirk on her face. A mutant like her would never be treated like that, at least not without an image inducer. She was the whore who got groped under the table with tendrils of darkforce during meetings in place of a handshake. But she didn’t really blame anyone else for that. It was what it was. In a way, she preferred how it felt more honest. She lied to other people for a living of course, but they asked for it; Stacy herself would take raw, ugly honesty over nicely-wrapped lies any day. And when there was no way to find an odd charm in the ugly elements, at least the Hellfire types handed you fancy drinks to wash down a bad aftertaste.

The girl was drawn away to the dancefloor by the court king, leaving her other half on the sidelines. Stacy’s tail swayed as she slid towards him through the crowds, a betrayal of the activity going on in her head. She was busy mentally sifting through times she’d been at the Pleasure Clubs, grasping for anything she could remember hearing that tied back to that face, to that scent.

“Hey. Empath, right?” She smiled, wanting to make sure she’d guessed right rather than ease in with pointless small talk.

Stacy angled herself to make it seem like she was partly focused on those already dancing, something to dilute her forthright attitude as she was tasting the air. Her reptilian advantages would do a better job of reading him than anything body language could tell her.

“I think I made a mental note of your face once, ‘cause somebody told me your powers were kinda like mine. Just not on the outside, obviously.” She flashed him a grin, black glossed lips pulling back to briefly reveal sharp fangs. “Cause not everyone can be as ‘pretty’ as me.”

He tasted a little anxious, which overall might not be unusual. She couldn’t remember the last time she hadn’t seen a pawn get their game thrown off by the Shroud (in the same way she couldn’t remember Longshot failing to send them away smiling again). But when she mulled over the more subtle layers of Manny’s scent, the citrusy tang of nerves had some interesting secondary notes.

Her first instinct had been to ask if he was in the property business or whether she’d misremembered. But she relented a little, drawn in by the chemical story being told by his skin. She looked over to Kitty then subtly pointed with one talon. “She’s not Hellfire, right?”

Her smile was warmer this time as she glanced back to him, as reassuring as a mutant gorgon could ever really be. It was a gesture made from one emotional puppeteer to another. “I can usually smell it a mile off when Coleridge is gearing up to take someone home and… Well, that’s maybe one less thing for you to worry about tonight.”
none
played by:
Crypt
X-Men
Kitty had gone into the evening knowing that she was about to socialize with people whose ethics did not line up with her own. She knew that the Kings and Queens of the Club had their own agendas and would take morally ambiguous routes in order to achieve those agendas. And yet, the woman who was willing to find the good in everyone struggled to see complete evil in everyone. Bobby viewed Manny has the scum of the Earth. She hadn’t really spoken with her best friend in six weeks because Kitty had been willing to give Manny a chance, and Bobby had not.

Here was another one of those situations.

Max had entrusted Xavier’s with his children; would the Professor had allowed them there if Max was a complete villain? Possibly - or could one, Kitty mused, acknowledge that black and whites were absolutes and the world operated in a world of grey. After all, almost everyone thought she was good and nice and other four letter words, and few understood that she could, and had phase into a person’s chest to touch their beating heart. She was all too aware of the darkness within her, and wondered, honestly, if she’d fit into a place like this.

She wished she could say Max’s invitation to dance had surprised her, but she was really poor at lying. She guessed at the reason why, but time would reveal this particular social dance. As long as Manny wasn’t upset - and he didn’t appear to be judging by his kiss. Okay, then. If she could help him rise up the ladder of the court, well, isn’t that what good girlfriends do?

Taking his hand, she smiled a very sincere smile. “Well, you’ve picked the right X-Man to dance with.” Indeed, she’d selected a gown that would allow her and Manny to dance - one of her true loves. The King was about to find himself dancing with someone who could follow a strong lead, and who was actually trained in this.

Once they were away from normal prying ears (for one could never deny telepathic or supernatural prying ears,) Kitty opened the social dance. “Everything is lovely here this evening. You’ve made quite an impression on one who’s never been here before…” She paused, knowing that if she was to help Manny, she needed to be a little less formal. “And please...You can call me Kitty, or Kate…” Not Kitten...no, that was a name reserved for those who truly knew her - and that was not Max. Not yet.

Max smiled at her confidence as he lead her away. He took a position at the center of the dancefloor with Kitty, the other dancers slowly spread apart, to avoid crowding them.

“Thank you, Kitty. Please, call me Max,” he replied and smoothly took her in his arms. “You dance well,” he said, letting a note of mild surprise show in his voice. “We pride ourselves on knowing how to put on the best parties. I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself. I would hazard a guess that this is all new to you. It has been a long time since I’ve had the opportunity to see us through fresh eyes. Tell me… what do you see around you?” By the way he shaded his words, he was looking for something other than a simple description of what she saw, but rather her impression to it all.

Kitty’s frame was straight as she danced; she’d only just recently taken ballroom dancing and discovered how much she loved to Salsa. Many commented on her naivety when dealing with people; she preferred to think of it as an open heart and open mind. Whichever would ultimately prove true, she was more than willing to act with grace.

“Very well, Max.” Her smile was genuine; this was not one who tended towards duplicity. “Thank you. Dance was were I lost myself at a young age. I was always...a bit different - even before my mutations appeared. When you dance, you are judged on your ability - not on your looks, or age.” She offered a simple shrug. “I love it. “ She almost shared how she ended up accidentally asking Manny on a date, but she figured that would ruin his standing - and that wouldn’t do at all.

As she was led around the floor, she did what Max asked. Kitty was a watcher; while she didn’t have empathy, or telepathy, or other super powers - and while she wasn’t a person who moved in these type of circles, she wasn’t blind to beyond the surface. “Mmm. Of a sort. My Father was involved with some affluent families in Japan. I had an...encounter...or two.” A very polite way to admit her father worked for the Yakuza.

Doing as she was asked, Kitty murmured, “On the surface? A lot of attractive people with a lot of money who know both facts.” She was cautious; on the one hand, she could comment on the looks she was receiving. On the other hand… “Below the surface? It’s a chess game. The people who vied for your attention because you are King are now wondering why I obtained the first dance. They are evaluating Manny just a little differently.” She had to smile briefly, “And I’m earning quite a few daggered looks from woman with whom your reputation precedes you.” With a tilt of the head, she murmured, “There are currents in here. Ebbs and Flows. Every action has a counter action.” Without thinking, she added, “It must get so tiresome...always having to think three steps ahead…”

“Considerably more than three steps,” he corrected her, “and yes, it does.” He wondered if she and Manny, especially his young Pawn, were also thinking ahead enough. Were either of them aware that Manny sticking his head up from the crowd of other Pawns, he was making himself more of a target? Ah well, either that would occur to them or they would pay the price for only thinking three moves ahead. “But it’s a burden I accepted long ago and have learned to live with. Once you get to the top, there’s nowhere to go, except down. Or,” he said and smiled down at her, “you learn how to fly and keep moving forward.”

“You offered a good description of Hellfire’s commerce: gossip, favors, plotting and planning,” he said blithely, as though it were all old hat and a game he’d mastered long ago. “Tell me, doesn’t your X-Men have something similar? Those who strive to move up the ranks? Those with more ambitious than others? Scott Summers seems a permanent fixture as king of the X-Men, but he does create junior teams. Aren’t there those among you who covet being a leader of your own team? How is what you see here different than what you see at the Xavier mansion?” he wondered.

And her empathy for the King grew.

It was one of the young woman’s flaws; looking past the easy exterior to see the complexities. To live a life as Max chose meant he knew he was putting his children in the crosshairs of these political dealings. He would miss out on all the things that Kitty imagined were important milestones - but he provided for them a safe home, and they were surrounded by genuine people, out of the grand chess game. “Dare I inquire as to your motives with selecting me as your first dance?” Her smile didn’t waver; neither did her mannerisms. She was, after all, curious. She hoped, also, that this encounter would help Manny in his quest to rise amongst the chess pieces. But oh, the danger lie in the fact that Kitty found herself having fun. Here was a man she actually had to think around, unless most others. Each word needed to be considered; it was intellectually stimulating in a way she hadn’t encountered since her first semester at MIT.

She did offer, with a chuckle, “I was taught to fly by a very dangerous man.” And wasn’t interacting with Max a tad bit like Ogun? Save Max seemed a lot more humane. And yes, that was saying something.

Tilting her head a bit as she thought, she offered, “There are parallels, of course. There are parallels in any organization - from The Brotherhood, to SHIELD. X-Factor. There are those pillars - Eric, Scott, and there are those who hunger to be a part of that grouping. “ She thought, briefly, on how she started wanting to teach young mutants how to use their powers, how that puzzle became something she coveted. “I would venture that the...commerce...is a lot more upfront with the X-Men. People are obvious about wanting to be on the team. There is a definite process. Here? It’s a lot more cloak and dagger. Subterfuge is valued, while by all appearances, strength is what Erik values.”

Why did he select her for a dance, she’d asked, when there were so many others waiting for his attention. He considered and liked that she had a mind and enough caution to use it. Leaning his mouth closer to her ear, he said, “This is a test, of course.” He straightened and smiled down at her, the tendrils of wisps of darkness from his mask showing more life as their dance sped up. “Everything is a test. Not only for you. Not only for Manny de la Rocha. For all those you noticed watching us, as well. How does this alter their plans and what will they do as a result? It will be interesting to see what happens.” He let that sink in as she went on to give her impression of the various mutant factions.

“Subterfuge is a tool of intelligence, Kitty, a measure of it. Those without wit don’t advance far here or keep their position for long if they got there only through luck. Except Longshot, of course,” Max said and gestured to where his knight was chatting with the quintuplets. “But he’s a special case.”

“Erik does value strength,” Max agreed. “He has the zeal of a revolutionary who sees injustice wherever he looks. In some ways, it’s to be admired,” he ventured and waited for her reaction.

His answer earned him a quiet laugh, her body pliant as they danced. She leaned in to murmur back in his ear, “Well, I tend to be very good at tests….I hope I don’t disappoint.” And now her smile held a touch of mischief as she gagued his reaction. A man who couldn’t laugh...well...that man was Eric. She wouldn’t speak about Manny. She’d gotten to know him well over the past six weeks, and her one fear was that he wasn’t as aggressive? Enough to climb the ranks that he wanted. Oh, he was doing well, and he had noble intentions, but.. “As for Manny, well…” She paused and wondered what to say. She could comment on his loyalty, but that would seem too forward; too obvious. She could comment on his ability and drive; that was too much like brown nosing. Instead, she offered, “I’m sure he’ll please you….” And yes, she’d learned. The sentence begged to be completed with “He certainly pleases me…” but to add that would be crass. And crass was not Kitty, nor was it appropriate here. “I’m glad to have added to your evening entertainment…”

Nodding, she listened. The X-Men were not one for subterfuge. At all. In fact, most couldn’t fight with subterfuge if it was needed. They were very good at what they did, but subterfuge wasn’t a normal play. “I’m sure having those with a quick mind is far more….stimulating than those who seek the more direct approach.” She certain appreciated it. “Subterfuge keeps you on your toes; those who do not pay attention are left behind so much more quickly…”

As for Erik, she nodded her head from side to side, agreeing, but not fully. “Strength of will, strength of body - strength in any form is to be admired. Yes.” She looked around the room subtly, but pointedly. “But zeal can be dangerous. I admire his desire to correct injustice; his methods I find...less than stellar.” And here they were coming to, she suspected, the impasse. “I cannot, in good conscience, live by the ends justifies the means. There has to be boundaries - or else what are we fighting for?”

“An idealist,” Max proclaimed with a good natured chuckle. “As most X-Men are,” he concluded with a tilt of his head. “To live your life guided by your better natures, is a lofty goal that most fall depressingly short of fulfilling. Would you care to know my philosophy?” he offered with a coy smile and encouraged inquisitiveness. “Or can you guess it?”

“My degrees are in theoretical mathematics and computer programming; No psych in there..” She was smiling, and her tone good natured. “To guess it would to potentially insult - but I’ll make a good faith effort. After all, I imagine you don’t have too many people not act like a sycophant around you…” Kitty imaged Max had very few people he could trust; that’s what happened when you were a part of an enterprise that required clawing and back room deals to advance.

She took a few moments to just enjoy the dance as she gathered her thoughts. What did she know about Max. He loved his children; he could have placed them anywhere - and yet they were at the school. Safe, and a nurturing environment. He cared about mutants; he hadn’t had to help when the school was attacked - but he had, and he worked to safe lives. There was no Quid Pro Quo in that; Scott and the Professor would have taken his children in regardless. But she wasn’t naive to believe he was altruistic. No, this was the Hellfire Club, and he was King. He earned his power, and maintained his power, and that required a certain level of ruthlessness. Shaking her head, she answered honestly, “I would put forth that you value power as a tool; and means to an end. Where Eric uses zeal and force, you wield influence, raw and political power as a means to your end. While I wouldn’t call you altruistic, there is an understanding of the value of human life; you are just okay to take ruthless action if needed…” And if there was a touch of admiration when she mentioned the ruthlessness? Well… Chicago had only been a month ago. Had she had a bit more ruthlessness, perhaps she wouldn’t have been as conflicted about her actions.

“Is that close?”

He listened and the pair cut an impressive figure on the dancefloor as Kitty spoke. “Very close, especially for one with a logic background. To take in my known actions and evaluate them. Your conclusions were kind and the word ‘evil’ didn’t pass your lips once; though for others, it would have,” he smiled, amused at that. “There’s only one thing I would add to give you a more complete picture - I value freedom. Does that shock you, considering how orderly the club is and as you no doubt suspect, manipulation is one of our most common tactics? Here, everyone has the freedom to choose their actions, free of judgements and well-intentioned advice. The hedonistic and averous aristocrats that founded the first Hellfire Club proclaimed ‘do as thou wilt shall be the only law’. They were fools in many ways and the Club has evolved beyond its lecherous beginnings, but the kernel of that sentiment, I like. When you walk through our doors, as an adult, you have the freedom to do as you choose. That of course, is coupled, hand-in-hand, with the freedom to experience the consequences of those actions. The freedom to succeed… and the freedom to fail. The freedom, Kitty, to… make your own decisions. For most people, that’s a truly frightening proposition. Worthy of being labeled evil.” He said and smiled again, his horns twisting toward the lovely X-Man.

She shook her head sharply when he mentioned Evil. For the first time, the response wasn’t with the caution or the cunning the other responses had been. This was a true gut reaction. “You’re not evil.” She would stand by that. An evil person wouldn’t have taken the actions he did to protect his children. To protect other children. To protect other people. And yes, she knew evil. For a brief moment, the feeling returned again of holding that man’s heart in her hand...and how powerful she felt. Fortunately, she kept her face schooled into the appropriate facial expression for her declaration of the King not being evil. Quickly following, she leaned in and teased, “I won’t tell, though….reputations and all that..” There was that mischief again.

Shaking her head, she said, “No. The club is based on freedom. As you said - you walk through the doors and there is a certain level of implied freedom - starting by picking Black or White. “ She smiled faintly and offered, “I am free to see Manny, but I full well know that he is an empath - and if I wasn’t careful, he could make me do things outside of my character….I knew the reputation of this establishment, and yet I am free to walk in, and will accept the consequences of allying with the Black Court - via dress, and via accepting the rose, but most importantly, accepting the first dance with the King. Will I be pleased if this brings harm to Manny? No...but this is the world he has made the decision to live in, and who am I to question that?” She executed a perfect turn with the music. Their conversation a dichotomy towards the music and their actions. Of course, she felt particularly protective of her paramour, and hoped this time with the King did not bring harm to him. She knew she could take care of herself (despite what others believed); Manny, however, was less of a physical fighting. Thank goodness he was good with the manipulation and subterfuge.

He was right about her, she was sweet, and kind, and brave, and as naive as a child, though not his children. Freedom, it sounded good, until it went from being an ideal to a concrete reality. Maybe she would learn that. Or maybe she could have her affection for Manuel de la Rocha and keep her starry-eyed innocence. Either way, that was her freedom.

He chuckled at her defense of him against a charge of being evil. “I’m glad my reputation is safe, I spent quite a while getting it as black as my shadows,” he joked, leaving her to wonder if he was serious or not.

“Who indeed, Kitty. I’m glad you have an open mind about us,” he said as they twirled among the dancers. “Not everyone does,” he said and would have shrugged it away if they hadn’t been dancing. “They’re free to have their opinions,” he said dismissively; he was one who truly did not care about the opinions of others, only his own.

“Have you met my children?” he asked, taking it for granted that an intelligent person, knowing where she was coming this evening, what have done her research and discovered the connection; if she hadn’t already known it.

He was right about her - to a part. She was kind, and sweet, yes - and she saw the good in people. The latter, though, was also done as a defense mechanism, as a way to ward off the darkness she knew that was in her. The type of darkness that could turn her, so easily, into someone who followed Eric - or who followed Max. The part of her that found Manny’s explanation of the Club as something she thought she understood. You did what you needed to do, you manipulated those with power, for the greater good. It was a slippery slope indeed. While many saw her as naive, she viewed it more as trying to hold onto optimism as long as possible.

Smiling back, she offered, “Your reputation is safe with me. I’m sure others would gladly call you evil, as you pointed out before….” She had no doubt he was serious; In order to hold a certain station you had to cultivate a certain reputation. Manny was an excellent example of this. Most people thought he was a douche - and that was a reputation he cultivated, but she understood that wasn’t completely true.

The switch to the school was expected. After all, that really was their one overlap. Well, the school and Manny. “I have not directly. I only returned last December; I took a 18 month sabbatical to earn my Masters degrees.” Yes, she used the plural. “I just started teaching in January, and I’ve been assigned the upper level math and computer science.” She smiled widely, “Though, if either of your children love computers, I’m the person with whom to speak!” Her joy with her subject was evident in the way she spoke. “I haven’t seen you around the campus since I’ve arrived?”

Max nodded at the mention of double Masters, taking it only as a given that Xavier’s was staffed with those who excelled academically. “I see. They are still young and their tastes haven’t yet gravitated in definite areas,” he replied, avoiding being pinned down, though that was more a habit of not giving away information rather than any real need to keep the children’s tastes and interests a secret. “No, you haven’t,” Max confirmed. “Being on a SHIELD watch-list and associating with those I do, the extra attention my presence brings would not be appreciated at the school; even by one as generous as you. But I have eyes there, my knight, Longshot, and his knives are always there when he’s needed. If you need to speak to me, just speak to him and I will hear.”

The music faded and the dance stopped. “Time to return you to de la Rocha,” Max said, keeping a hold on her hand. “It has been a pleasure. Thank you for your time, Kitty. Don’t hesitate to let me know if I can do anything for you.”

It really bothered her, Max not being able to see his kids. She understood, but still - she knew the time away from her Dad had been sad, and their homecomings something special. Still, it was another tick in her box of not evil; he cared about and put his kid’s well being first. She nodded to the information about Longshot, and made a mental note to ask Manny about the rankings later.

“It has been a pleasure, Max...and I’m sure you’ll enjoy the spectacle this has caused.” Her smile was genuine. Without thinking, she reciprocated the offer, “And if I can assist, well..I’m sure you know how to get a hold of me…” After all, information was his commodity.
Single
played by:
Lauren
Hellfire Club
Betsy almost laughed when the uninvited guest claimed he had expected someone older. "Then it's a good job you didn't show your face nine years ago. I've had this rank for some time," the telepath smirked slightly. Really, there were days when she felt old compared to some of the pawns who skittered about, but as of yet, she was not overly concerned about any competition. Looking back, twenty-four had been very young to ascend the role, but her then King had had faith in her, and she had only grown since then.

"Most call you Daken? What else are you called?" she challenged smoothly, poised to use her powers if necessary, but with so many civilians around and no forward notice of this man's abilities, Betsy preferred to dive into the unknown. Not yet, anyway.

He procured her another drink, and she simply raised an eyebrow. "Cocky little bastard, aren't you," the White Queen shook her purple head. There was something slightly unnerving about him, something dangerous, but she felt if he were intending to do something wholly unpleasant, he might not be stood there, talking to her so brazenly.

Then again, he might be getting a kick out of it.

Then, there was the fact he had known to use the title of White Queen.

Most ordinary guests, gatecrashers even, would not know of the Inner Circle, nor the ranks... That, and one more detail.

"Just how did you manage to get through the doormen?" She asked, then her mind flickered outside once more, as she had but taken a mere cursory glance before. "Interesting." Now she was examining their mind in full, Betsy found a lingering fog.

This could be interesting.

Raising a hand, one of her pawns appeared. "Delilah, one of my roses, please," she instructed, and the woman passed her a small box. While other pawns were passing out blooms - cellophane, indeed, Betsy was not using that supplier next year - she had her own roses. Five in total, miniature ornaments made of pearl and white gold. Some might have expected diamonds, but this White Queen would have shoved such things up their noses.

"Here, you think you can fit in, find some lovely lady to present this to, someone worthy of the White Court's favour," Betsy smiled, her beautiful features slowly turning deadly. "We might all look like pretty English roses, but if you are here to cause us trouble, I shall kill you myself."

Popping the box into his hand, she screwed up her nose in a girlish grin and patted his elbow. "Have fun."

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply

skinned exclusively for XMR by evvie of caution, shine, & tumblr.

Our Discord

Affiliates & Directories

RPG-D
Top RP Sites Top RP SitesVote for X-Men: Revolution at Top Site List Planet
Shadowplay Topsites Marvel Topsites