WELCOME TO EARTH-740.

X-Men Revolution is an Earth-616 inspired advanced RPG. We are loosely inspired by canon comic and movies, but have our own history, original characters and plots.

Join us as an original character, or pick one from marvel canon!

x-men
REVOLUTION
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

Howl at the Moonstar, Tag: Mirage
X-Men
Timeframe: February 16th, @ 8:00 pm

Neither Rahne nor Jack Russell had much in the way of fathers growing up. Jack's father had been killed when Jack was still young, and Rahne's father was about as abusive in both physical and emotional ways as anyone could be. It was due to that lack that they both agreed that their own child would have as much father-son time as could be spared. Their child would not lack what they themselves had.

So when Jack and Greg had their father-son time, Rahne had her own opportunity for bonding time. When the boys went out, Rahne had her friend over. When the boys stayed in...

Mutant Town. As much as Rahne didn't like Dani being out, away from the team, away from the school, at the very least it was out here and with X-Factor. It could have been worse, much worse. Dani could have been with SHIELD, up on their Helicarrier doing God knows what, or she could have been with Magneto, which would have been FAR worse.

So yes, X-Factor was something Rahne could live with for her closest friend. Rahne had plenty of friends as was befitting of someone who grew up as she did, needing friends in lieu of family, but she only had one best friend left after Avery Doyle had passed some time back.

And Dani Moonstar was a friend of the one-of-a-kind variety. The two shared a link few others had, connecting on a literally mental level, thanks to the way their mutations intersected. They'd been close friends since their teenage years, not even allowing an ocean of distance to break them up. They'd likely grow old together if the universe allowed it.

"So half a year out in this city, aye?" Rahne said as the two strolled about the neighborhood. This was a good place to be yourself, especially if yourself happened to have fur, fangs, claws, and a tail.

"I like this place as much as anyone else, but I rather think I'd miss the green."
Single
played by:
shadowkate
X-Factor
There were two terrible things about moving away from Xaviers and one slightly less terrible thing. The slightly less terrible thing was that Dani had been a bit scared. She had lived on her own a few times, away from Xavier's for one reason or another, but she still felt like part of the team there. Now she knew she wasn't.

Then she missed Rahne. That was the worst part. Moving away from the only person she felt completely relaxed and comfortable with. Sam was probably a close second, but Rahne meant more to her than almost anyone else could understand and meant more to her than anyone else. So they looked for opportunities still to hang out. It was odd when she went to Xavier's. Every now and then she canceled the night there. It was home longer than almost any other place. She wondered sometimes if that was what people who went to college and then started their own homes with their own lives felt going home to visit. That slight disconnect in it not really being home and yet, it totally was.

Besides, while she'd never tell Rahne this, she looked forward to having Rahne all to herself, with out Jack or Greg around. She loved the little boy, but always felt like she had Rahne before either of them. A night out in Mutant Town was something Dani really wanted and needed.

She had her arm tucked through the Scot's as they walked. "Aye." She repeated mimicing Rahne with just a hint of a grin. "I miss the green. I miss the woods. I miss the little critters sometimes. Pigeons just aren't the same." She laughed.

That was the last worst thing. She could just up and go to the woods. Central park was nice, but there were loads of people around.

"So anything fun and exciting occur since the last time we talked?" Knowing perfectly well that the two still texted a lot, and the answer was probably no. Just like Rahne was the first person Dani texted with good news, she suspected she was the first or second person to know Rahne's. Giving Jack at least that benefit.

"And I owe you and Jack something. So pick something pretty out and we'll calll it a gift for you both."

Wolfsbane
X-Men
"Fun? Sure, sure. Plenty of wee little things here an' there, but nothin' worthy of mentioning. Exciting? Thank the good Lord above, no," Rahne laughed, her tail wagging idly as they walked along. The quiet times were times to cherish, especially now that children were involved. She'd still fight to save the world, at the drop of a hat even, but she truly appreciated the moments when the world didn't need saving, perhaps more than she ever did before.

"Though I have been excited of late when muh kids get a solid handle on what they're bein' taught. Advanced reading's been a big proud point. Most all of 'em are reading above their age level," she left out that Greg wasn't, but it wasn't like he was behind, or a deficient reader. Just on par, which she supposed, wasn't terrible. She herself was well below expected level at his age due to upbringing or lack thereof, so she certainly felt some pride that Greg wasn't suffering that.

"No. No gifts. Nuh-uh. Spending ' time with you is more than gift enough," Rahne affirmed, shaking her head with a sharp motion and a swipe of her hand from right to left. She wasn't the type who wanted things so much, but experiences? Time well spent? That was valuable. This right here was valuable.

"So we shall paint Mutant Town red tonight! A little red," Rahne laughed lightly. "I dinnae get out just to have fun nearly enough anymore, so let's get to it! We shall get greasy street food, we shall find a music performance, and we shall dance! Or something. Just an idea."

Mirage
Single
played by:
shadowkate
X-Factor
"Yeah I wasn't talking about the 'plenty of wee little things'" Dani nudged her friend, not ever caring just what form Rahne was in. The spark of the little bond between them felt almost. Just slightly weaker in this form than in the others.

Quiet times for Dani were different. They were a pause. As if the world was holding it's breath. Waiting for the next shoe. She enjoyed those pauses and used them like now. To catch up with people close to her and make sure that they were protected. That they were okay. If it hadn't been for Jack and Greg, Dani probably would have asked Rahne to come with...but with her kid, there wasn't another option. The mansion was by far the safest place for the tot.

"It's cause they have a great teacher." She grinned. "The teacher matters just as much." Dani had been behind reading. The school on the Rez wasn't great in the best of circumstances and then with her grandfather basically pulling her from school for five years made her even more behind. It took a long time to catch up and it was a very frustrating process. Eventually, mostly because of the patience of Xavier and some of the teachers, she had.

"That isn't how it works. Besides, maybe spending time with you is your gift to me." She responded back. She knew what Rahne wanted in terms of time. They were very similar that way. Dani didn't like things. Things were objects that didn't mean much. The only thing she had an attachment to was her grandfather's bow. Experiences and time were way more important.

There was mischief in her grin. "No, I think more than a little red. And this is all about you tonight. Maybe I'll even text Jack that you aren't coming back home till tomorrow." She grinned. "Greasy street food, music and dancing. And a few drinks." She saw a little cart already up ahead, selling tacos. Pulling her that way. "Two steak tacos, a horchata and whatever she wants." She ordered with a grin.

Wolfsbane
X-Men
"I mean. Sure, ye go out every now an' again t' pull a young mutant out of a bad situation, or go to diffuse a dangerous situation with an out of control mutant, or worse comes to worse, punch out a mutant who's dead set on hurtin' people, but honestly that stuff's kinda gotten routine," Rahne shrugged her shoulders. She supposed it was horrible to admit that any part of being an X-Man was routine, because even for the quietest of missions, they were a matter of life and death for people, but it may have been on the same scale as police work or firefighting.

"We haven't saved all of reality from collapsin' on itself lately, nor have we had t' worry about changin' into dinosaurs or whatever," Rahne smirked. Surely though, it was just a matter of time before something that big did indeed happen.

"Neither of us will be buyin' the other any stuff," Rahne asserted. "All about me, psh, no. This is us. This is to late nights on AIM, to strugglin' to figure out how webcams work, t' explorin' Muir's forests an' climbin' mountains in Lame Deer."

"Could ye do - ah, yes, there we are - steak, bean an' cheese burrito, extra meat," Rahne grinned, flashing a little bit of fang as her tail waved behind her.

"I've heard tell of a guy in town who uses telekinesis to be an entire band unto himself," Rahne offered as they waited for food. "Nary a clue if he's any good 'r not, but I've heard of him."
Single
played by:
shadowkate
X-Factor
Dani couldn't help the giggle. It was a little thing but the way Rahne put it all, as if it was run of the mill was funny. Even if it wasn't, not really. Because it was normal stuff to them. Maybe that was part of why she left as well. So much was ROUTINE. It was hard to believe that it was routine enough to sometimes being boring.

"Well let's keep it that way. I don't think reality trying to collapse in is a good idea, nor is changing into dinosaurs." She shook her head. What was their life sometimes? That this was old hat things and that they were talking about it so casually. But the life of a mutant superhero she guessed. Sometimes it was quiet and sometimes the craziest things got tossed their way.

Dani nodded and pulled Rahne into a hug. "All those stupid late nights and early mornings." She agreed. Remembering some of their early webcam experiences and only being able to see Rahne's nose or hearing things breaking up and not being able to tell why. Thankfully they were both so much more adapt now.

She paid for the food and listened as Rahne suggested the mutant. "Still has to be something to see at least. We can go see if he is performing tonight." That was an interesting use for powers at least. She probably never would have thought of it.

"Any idea where they might be playing?" Mutant town wasn't that big, but it was big enough. Tracking down one person via word of mouth wasn't always the easiest thing to do.

She took the food as it finished and handed Rahne her burrito. "Okay but I do want to buy Greg a little something." She grinned. She spoiled her godson rotten and they both knew it...but who else was she ever going to spoil that way?

Wolfsbane
X-Men
"Right? I'll take dinosaurs over what we actually did turn into, but still. I rather like being a mammal," Rahne chuckled, and it was no small achievement that she was even able to joke about the horror of that ordeal those years ago, losing her humanity such as it were to a transformative alien parasite. But such was life in X-World. You moved past horrific things, you grew beyond them, you lived as good a life as possible in spite of them.

"Those stupid late nights an' early mornings were probably the highlight of muh teenage years when you lot weren't on Muir field trip time," Rahne laughed, leaning into the embrace before it was time to chow down.

"Dinnae have a single clue where- oh, this is good," her train of though interrupted by the taste of that first bite of burrito. "But it's nae as if we're on any kind a' schedule. I hardly spend enough time out here anymore. Used to visit a lot back when I first came to the states. Far too busy at the school these days, I'm afraid."

She took another bite, her slightly larger-than-human mouth in half-wolf form preventing much spillover, and glanced around the area.
"So, as the local girl, I say you pick a direction, an' we'll begin walkin' in it, and then when we find something, we do it."
Single
played by:
shadowkate
X-Factor
If it had been anyone else but Rahne, they likely wouldn't have noticed the small shudder go through Dani even thinking about what they almost turned into. More signs that they were going about this wrong. She shook her head and banished the thoughts from her mind. "Yeah, I'm pretty fond of it." Dani didn't like the idea of turning into anything but herself.

When Dani was in school, for the brief year she thought she might be able to do something that was different, she learned about post-traumatic stress disorder. It made her laugh out loud in class but then couldn't explain the joke. The fact was, it was amazing that any the X-Men, or X-Factor for that matter, were functional. Considering what they did and saw on regular bases. But then she guessed, normal people didn't enter the superhero business either.

It was good. Probably the best she'd had in a while. Making a slight moaning noise as she ate. "It is." She grinned. She needed to come back here. She grinned widely when Rahne said they had no schedule. "Oh I know, but I also have to get you home at some point. I don't think Jack would be SUPER happy if I kept you all to myself for two days." Not that she would. She liked the man her best friend had found and adored her child. A family that Dani would never have..and she was okay with that.

"Oh as the local girl?" She laughed. She had come a few times with Rahne when they were younger, and mutant town didn't bother her like it did others, but she also didn't frequent as much. In part, it made her slightly uncomfortable. Not that others were flaunting their mutations, that was great and Dani loved that part, no, it was the stares she got. Less when she was with Rahne but there was always that slight feeling that her mutation was less here. It wasn't visible and she was sure that others thought she was just a normal human. With Rahne at least, they knew she was accepting.

With a grin, she pulled Rahne alone towards the west. "Also I've decided something. I want to teach Greg how to ride horses." She grinned at her best friend. She had learned when she was a hair younger than the boy and it would sure do him well.

Wolfsbane
X-Men
"Some point, aye. Ye know full well that Jack will need backup with the wee terror before too long," Rahne chuckled. It wasn't entirely honest or true, but she did find it amusing. Truth was, Jack and Greg got along swimmingly more often than not, but there were times when Jack's hesitance to discipline got him into trouble. In came bad cop mom at that point.

"But that's a bridge t' cross when we get there," Rahne was glad to let Dani take the lead, as honestly this town had changed much since she was a frequent visitor. It had been through much over the years. Destruction, chaos, unrest, violence. And as most communities do when that happens, they rebuilt. But the rebuild wasn't identical to the original, so things had... changed. It was very appropriate for a place specifically set aside for mutants, as change was an essential part of what made them what they are.

"Well, 'tis true! Ye've been here for half a year or so now, ye're practically a native!" Rahne laughed. "I mean, I'm pretty sure at this point the only thing keepin' me from havin' lived in upstate New York muh whole life is the accent, which I refuse t' lose."

Rahne's eyes went a bit wide as a slightly incredulous smile spread across her face.
"Horse riding," she said, mulling it over. "Alright, that has t' happen. Nae sure if it'll be adorable or hilarious or amazing, but that will happen an' I will watch."
Single
played by:
shadowkate
X-Factor
There was a reason that Dani was the fun aunt. The one who rarely disciplined Greg or any children she met. Letting them have fun and giving them back to their better equpit parents. She didn't think she'd do a good job disciplining them. Sure, her parents had done okay with her, but her Grandfather's discipline was way out of balance with the crime. It had other, large reaching, side effects as well. She traced a bit of her distrust of authority back to him. It also meant that she was unlikely to ever have children so might as well spoil the ones she could.

"We should plan that though. A girls weekend away. Maybe invite Kitty." She grinned, though it was unlikely. No one's lives lead them to that. But it was a nice thought and who knew, maybe the stars would align.

Dani laughed about being a native New Yorker. "Yeah well if that makes me a native New Yorker, then we are in trouble." She could navigate outside in the wilderness with practically nothing, but the subway system still confused the hell out of her.

"Oh, I doubt that." She laughed. "But it does seem like we have been here longer than anywhere else." It wasn't quite true, not yet at least, but it was moving that way. A few years and it would be completely true.

She laughed again and clapped a bit as Rahne agreed. "It'll likely be both and you know that I wouldn't let anything happen to Greg." Animals listened to Dani, at least most of the time, and they sure wouldn't buck with her around.

As they turned a corner she pointed at a building with a marquee on it. The One Man Band. "Oh, do you think this is it?" She asked practically pulling Rahne along. If nothing else it might be an interesting show.

Wolfsbane
X-Men
"Ooooh, a retreat! I like it, I like it - we'll have t' gauge the odds on that one, 'cause let's be honest - what are the true odds that we go off for a weekend of whatever we end up doin' an' not somehow run afoul of a super villain's manic scheme to, I dunno, weaponize the ocean or create robot zombies or... well, ye get the idea, surely."

It was a bit of an exaggeration, of course, as they'd all had trips where nothing unexpected happened, where there was no need to go up against a maniac in a costume with more power than sense. But it did seem like if there was ever going to be a random villain eruption, it was going to happen while heroes coincidentally happened to be nearby.

"Surely he's young enough that a horse would'nae see him as a threat, aye? I know both his da an' I have spooked the poor beasties jus' by - ye know - bein' nearby," she wasn't worried per se, especially knowing exactly how instinctively good Dani was with animals.

"Ooh! Aye, I think this must be it!" Surely, that was the guy. "This'll either be great or a train wreck - memorable either way."

It was at a relatively mid-sized bar, modest in its decor. It was clean enough, but not sleek or modernist. Wood floors, neon signs, a small stage to perform from, a few local elements as well. It was fairly nice, Rahne had to admit. The place even barely smelled of cigarettes.

A middle sized crowd had already gathered, some at tables, some at the bar itself, some on stools on the main floor, assembled around the stage.

"Well, looks like we've got room enough for whatever we want," Rahne said, the noise level not quite loud enough to make shouting a necessity.
Single
played by:
shadowkate
X-Factor
Dani laughed loudly as Rahne went through possibilities that could happen if a group of them attempted anything resembling a vacation or even a normal life. She was also right. Odds were good that they'd run afoul of some crazy ass plan that they would have to intervene for. "Really? The best you could come up with was weaponizing the ocean and robot zombies?" She laughed again. It did always seem like they had so much to overcome to try and just do something easy. Time and place and making sure no one was going to need them while they were gone.

There was something to the thought Rahne had and while Dani couldn't pick up the whole thought, she got an impression about it. "Is that like the tree? If there is a supervillian trying to take over the world and no superheroes are around to hear it, does it matter?" She laughed and grinned at her best friend.

"They don't usually spook when I'm around, even if you and Jack are." She pointed out. "I bet we could even get you on one." Of course, she had been trying that for years and it hadn't really happened. "And you know I'm not going to let anything happen to Greg." Why would she? She adored her godson.

As they walked in, Dani agreed with Rahne's assessment. Either great or a trainwreck and either way they'd have a memory and something to talk about when they left tonight. The place wasn't empty but it hadn't started to fill up either. She took Rahne's elbow and guided her to a table that was close to the stage. One that was empty. Signaling the waiter she grinned. "One of whatever ale you have on tap?" She ordered, not feeling picky tonight. Grinning as she waited for Rahne to order.

That done, she looked back at Rahne. ""Did I tell you how much I horrible miss you?" She asked with a smile. Waiting for the drinks and the show.

Wolfsbane
X-Men
"That should be reassuring!" Rahne laughed. There was joy to be had in this silly banter, lighthearted quips traded between two long-standing friends. "I mean, just think, if, God forbid, I somehow turn evil, muh dastardly schemes would be so utterly unimaginative! 'Oop, Rahne's off to go conquer the Keebler factory again, best to put a stop t' that,.'"

Rahne shrugged her shoulders at Dani's question.
"Hard t' say, honestly. I mean, we've all been there, when jus' mindin' our own business leads us to bumpin' into some costumed maniac off doin'... Whatever. I'm nae comin' up with any more silly hypotheticals."

She glanced over to the bartender, honestly not having thought what she'd like to have over yet. Truth be told, she hadn't had an actual drink in so long, she hardly knew what sounded good at the moment.
"I'll think that one over, but I promise I'll have somethin'," she nodded her head slowly.

"Ye could have been an X-Man, Dani," she teased, with a sly smirk on her face. "Nae that I begrudge yuir choice t' move out t' the city an' help Lex an' Lorna an' their family, but alas, that means we're nae teammates ourselves."
Single
played by:
shadowkate
X-Factor
There were things Danielle had never been good at. Never really gotten. At least not until she met Rahne. She thought she had lost the ability to be carefree and lighthearted. Lost it when she lost her parents. Rahne had shown her otherwise. She was still the more serious of the two of them, but it was more signs that they were best friend soulmates. Dani wasn't in love with Rahne, didn't hate Jack for 'stealing her away', no. It wasn't that type of soulmate. It was something deeper.

"Oh god, don't even joke about that. Though I guess it would take us a long time to even realize it." She laughed. "Maybe you secretly are evil and this is just an act." Though they both knew if there was some major, fundamental shift in Rahne, Dani would be the first person to pick it up. No one might believe her at first, only a handful of people having any true idea of the bond between them.

Dani rolled her eyes. "You better. This is a chance for both of us to get out and have some fun and I hate drinking alone." Well, hate was a strong word and it wasn't like she didn't. Just it was always more fun with someone else.

She almost opened her mouth to respond to Rahne. To talk about how she had tried being an X-Men but they weren't doing what needed to be done. But they had talked about it. "You could always come and join Alex's team." She gave a little grin. Knowing perfectly well Rahne wouldn't.

In some ways, she was glad about that. She'd miss having the werewolf next to her, working almost as one. Xavier's was, in theory, safer. It was likely better for Greg. And it was better with the wilderness right there. No point in taking the werewolf child to live in the city.

She grinned as her drink came and then frowned slightly. "It's hard to toast when you don't have anything. " She pointed out, taking a quick sip. Watching as a single man walked out onto the stage where the instruments were.

Wolfsbane
X-Men
"I think we both know I was always fairly low on the 'likely t' be evil' list," Rahne laughed, shaking her head slowly.

"Ah, decided," she suddenly interjected. "Ye've got Dos Equis?"

"Bottle okay?" the bartender asked in response, hands planted on the bar top.

"Aye, bottle's good," Rahne nodded affirmatively. She wasn't usually a beer drinker. But this wasn't a Chardonnay type of establishment, and something a bit harder just felt wrong and not really anything she was interested in.

"Anyway, I think we all know the ones we've really looked an' decided that they could certainly turn evil," Rahne said with a smirk as the bartender pulled a bottle out for her and cracked the top off under the bar.

She chuckled at the prospect of moving out to join X-Factor. Rahne? On X-Factor? Didn't seem like a solid fit if she was entirely honest with herself.
"An' give up all muh X-Man perks? Never. I love ye, Dani, but ye'll have t' pry that outta muh cold, dead claws."

Rahne took her bottle as it was offered to her and watched the young man take the stage. 'Young', but really not much younger than the two of them, if at all. He looked fairly nondescript, dressed I a flannel shirt and denim jeans, what looked like work boots that never saw a day of work in their life.

"A toast, then," she said, lifting and tilting her bottle up to meet Dani's glass. "To this - forever. The two of us gettin' old an' wrinkly an' still savin' time for each other."

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply

skinned exclusively for XMR by evvie of caution, shine, & tumblr.

Our Discord

Affiliates & Directories

RPG-D
Top RP Sites Top RP SitesVote for X-Men: Revolution at Top Site List Planet
Shadowplay Topsites Marvel Topsites