WELCOME TO EARTH-740.

X-Men Revolution is an Earth-616 inspired advanced RPG. We are loosely inspired by canon comic and movies, but have our own history, original characters and plots.

Join us as an original character, or pick one from marvel canon!

x-men
REVOLUTION
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

The Small Things, Tag: Kitty Pryde
X-Men
Timeframe: January 27th, @ 9:15 pm, local time

Being an X-Man isn't always about saving the world from powerful evil mutants bent on destruction. It's not always about standing firm against human bigotry. It's not always about running into danger and saving lives. Many times it is those things, sometimes even all three at once, but that isn't the totality of the X-Men experience.

Sometimes, being an X-Man means pretending to be a wealthy tourist in a tourist-trap small town in the hopes of getting purse-snatched.

"I feel ridiculous," Rahne spoke quietly into her comm-unit to her partner on this small mission, looking herself over in the front window of an antiques shop specializing in antebellum china and furniture. She wore oversized designer sunglasses, multiple bracelets on her left wrist, a sleeveless red day-dress with matching high heeled shoes, deep red lipstick and a soft blush on her cheeks, a gold necklace, and a white and red Coach handbag.

In other words, she was out of her element. But the plan was to be as enticing a target as possible, and to that end, she fit the bill.

The news had been scarce on details, but what they knew was that the town of Raymond had been up in arms lately about a string of purse-snatchings, by a mutant of some sort. Reports were conflicted, as some claimed to be attacked by a man-sized bug monster, others by a horrible lizard creature with glowing red eyes, others claimed it was a demon straight from hell. They had no concrete description to work off of, so all they could do was show up in the time frame the snatcher tended to operate within and hope they could either get snagged or witness someone else getting targeted. Ideally, though, they wanted to be targeted.

"How's the tracker workin'?" she asked her unseen partner. The purse had been implanted with a GPS tracking device that would hopefully allow them to keep tabs on their thief even if that thief managed to evade them.

And they knew they had to get to this thief before the police did, because with the fear and anxiety building up in this small town, it was almost a foregone conclusion that if this snatcher got arrested, things would end very badly, very ugly, and very violent.

Whoever this purse-snatcher was, he or she was in grave danger in this small town, and it was up to the X-Men to extract him or her before the long arm of the law got a stranglehold in.
none
played by:
Crypt
X-Men
Being an X-Man wasn't always saving the world from powerful evil mutants, and truthfully? Kitty was exceedingly happy that her first, bona fide mission back on the team involved just Rahne, and nothing on a cosmic, world wide, or even nation wide scale. Just a lovely fishing expedition where Kitty was the back up and Rahne got to play wealthy tourist.

Kitty had to keep from laughing.

Rahne brought to mind many adjectives. Motherly. Passionate. Loyal. Friendly. Humble. But clothing centric? Wealthy and self involved? Well, this was going to be an exceedingly entertaining exercise for the both of them.

She tried to keep the grin out of her voice. She really did. Kitty was naturally a happy a person, and she hoped that's what Rahne would assume. "You look perfect." And it was true! She made quite the striking figure in her designer outfit; she couldn't have done better to scream STEAL MY PURSE without offering a sign that said "STEAL MY PURSE." Of course, Kitty knew she was terribly uncomfortable. "I promise Logan'll never see these pictures...or Bobby..." Both of whom would probably tease her. "But, you know, if you wanted...I could send them to your husband..." Because, as out of place as she felt? She looked amazing.

She took a few more pictures...just in case.

"Oh, the tracker is tracking! And it's emp shielded, so if he - or she - gives off any sort of electrical discharge, we'll be okay...and I placed it in the seam, so unless he's as good as Sarah and I, yeah...track isn't being found." Her voice was all the tone needed; Kitty loved her toys. "I still say we should let him take it, and then meet him back in his lair. That way he - or she - will feel less off balance when we try to talk with them."

The youngest member was well known to have a soft heart. She believed in the best of everyone (except, maybe Emma Frost), and wasn't sold that this wasn't just a case of a person needing to steal to eat because they didn't have a means otherwise. If it was a mutant with a physical mutation, which is sounded like, chances were good that they were in a bad situation and trying to get out. That was what they were there for.

"Don't worry..I have you covered, either way. You and that coach bag will return home, safe and sound..." And yes, Kitty sounded amused.

Wolfsbane
X-Men
"Och, I'm never gonna live this down, am I?" Photographs. Surely, it's smart to have photos on a... was this a sting operation? Was that what that meant? Rahne wasn't entirely sure. Either way, terminology wasn't important in this case.

"Sounds like a good plan," Rahne answered, nodding her head slightly.

"What does?" she jumped a bit at the sudden unexpected question, as very suddenly next to her was an older man, stark white hair receding from his forehead, and tiny little glasses likely more for picking out small details up close than for reading or other vision problems.

"Oh, um, sorry, jus' speakin' to muhself," Rahne fumbled, embarrassed and a bit concerned.

"Didn't mean to scare ya, young lady," the older man said with a slight chuckle. "Name's Thaddeus James, Ah own this here shop. Got yer eye on anything in particular?"

Oh, of course she'd find herself stuck in conversation with the owner of the store. She supposed it would help making her a decent target if she was out talking about expensive antique purchases... now she just had to imagine what was expensive here...

"Well, uh..." she stammered, thinking in the fly. Expensive, expensive, expensive...

"I've been lookin' for uh, an armoire," she said, hoping she settled on something good. "We've got a nice guest room that needs that extra... somethin', an' I was thinkin' a fancy armoire could fill that space beautifully."

"Well, my dear, you are in luck, 'cause I've got a doozy of an armoire just wait in' for ya," he smiled, urging her to go inside, which presented a problem in and of itself. Surely the thief would miss her if she were inside, so she had to find a way to stall a bit longer.

"Ye're uh,,, ye're certain? 'Cause I was lookin' in through yuir windows an' I dinnae see a single armoire..." it occurred to her in this moment that she was t entirely sure what an armoire was or what it looked like. A big stand-alone closet, she hoped. But if she was wrong?

"I keep 'em in the back," he said with a chuckle. "They're a bit too big to fit out on my sales floor, so I've got some pictures instead,"

"Could I see 'em?" she asked.

"Well, surely, come on in and-"

"No, I mean out here, I'd like to..." She was sure she was blowing it.

She was wrapped up enough in trying to stall this conversation that she hadn't noticed the hooded figure in an oversized black sweatshirt casually strolling towards her with hands in pockets,
none
played by:
Crypt
X-Men
All in all, this was an amusing operation. Sure, she took pictures, because they never knew when or where the mutant was coming, but because this was so out side of Rahne's element. Not that she wasn't a perfect mark. After all, she was smaller in build, and had a quietness about her - well, until she called out for one of her kids, and then the Scottish came through. But really, Kitty dreamed of the day where Rahne would "retire" and these pictures would be used in her farewell dinner.

The smile was SO evident in her voice over the coms. "Like I said..I promise I won't show...unless Scott or your husband asks....your secret is safe with me!"

And when Rahne approved of her plan? "Great..."

And then Rahne was being accosted by some guy. From the nature of the conversation, the guy was apparently a person who worked in the store...or....owner. Great. How in the world could she extricate Rahne from this? He seemed so very intent on talking with Rahne - which would potentially deter the mutant..which would eradicate everything they were trying to do.

She spoke in Rahne's earpiece. "Oh my way. I'll get him inside...parking drone up top...remember....if the purse gets taken...we're good..."

It was at the awkward part of the conversation that this very nerdy looking woman came barreling down the street. She had her phone up to her face, like she was looking for a specific thing, and stopped in front of the window. She looked in the window, looked at her phone, looked at the man and exclaimed,"OH! You're the owner! Well I declare! God is ON my side today!" Did she have a little bit of a southern accent? Why yes, yes she did. She wouldn't win any academy awards, but she was certainly being more in his face than Rahne.

In face, she outwardly ignored Rahne.

Pushing her phone into his face, she declared, "Ah've been looking for this....Mah mother wants it, and what Mama wants, Mama gets. " The phone had his website up, and a picture of a hideous looking broach. It was green...ish? Some sort of stone, but it was a pretty ticket. "

She explained, "Mah mother...Well, Daddy..he's not very demonstrative. Oh, he loves her. No doubt about that...at all..but Rachel..that's mah other sister...younger...surprise....she keeps her running around...and so, Ah want to give Mama something nice..you Do still have it, right?" She started walking into the store, obviously expecting the man to follow her in.

Wolfsbane
X-Men
Rahne was taken aback as Kitty rushed in, taking over the conversation with all the self-important bluster of a modern American consumer, rushing right past Rahne as if she wasn't even there. If this wasn't part of an elaborate ruse, a plan to lure a thief into a trap, Rahne might have even been offended at the whole thing.

She did her part, though, standing slack-jawed and "flabbergasted" as Kitty swooped in and saved the day.
"Why-why yes indeed, Ah do still have that, ma'am," the old man said, regaining his composure and allowing Kitty to take over. After all, a confident customer will spend money, a timid, unsure customer may possibly spend money. Big difference.

"Did you know that the brooch you're interested in was owned by Stonewall Jackson's second wife, Mary Anna?" His composure completely regained, he led Kitty inside, while Rahne watched from the window.

Keeping her eye on Kitty helped the plan a bit, whether intended or not. Her attention, after all, was not on the potential robbery she was supposed to be a victim of, but rather the shop.

And in that moment, it happened. She was distracted, and was blindsided, which under ordinary circumstances would have been practically impossible. She was shoved to the pavement with a surprising amount of force, like she was hit by four hands at once, and her high heeled shoes had her already slightly off-balance. As she fell, an arm slipped out of the oversized sweatshirt and snagged the purse roughly off of her shoulder, jerking her a bit to the side as she fell. She landed on the pavement with a thud, her other hand catching her well enough to prevent any serious injury.

Rahne was tougher than she looked, even while in human form. An abraised shoulder, and a scuffed palm was the worst of it, and from the pavement she watched her assailant run off, an odd mass swinging from side to side around the torso making the action look strange and unnatural. That was their mutant purse snatcher, alright.
none
played by:
Crypt
X-Men
Kitty prayed Rahne understood. The objective was to get the purse stolen, and she didn't think the purse would get stolen if Rahne was occupied with this older man. So, Kitty tried to block. She hadn't had time to explain, and she didn't know if Rahne would be upset. She hoped not. She adored Rahne, and didn't want to ever upset her.

Fortunately, the man was amenable to Kitty's in his face attitude, and was very willing to sell the item. With a history lesson, of course. Kitty followed the man inside, nodding while the man regaled her with a story. Of course, she was SO buying the brooch and giving it to either Jet or Jean. Either would do. Thanks to the passing of her father, she wouldn't need money for a bit, and spending some on a piece of jewelry that would get a smile either way? Worked for her.

She was being rung up when she heard Rahne go down. It was all she could do to keep the ruse up. After all, she knew Rahne wouldn't be hurt...really...but she was her teammate, and that was enough. She left post haste...

Heading outside, she offered a hand to Rahne, "You okay? I'm sure we can scrounge a first aid kit up...." She looked a little bit worried. But then again, Rahne was a scrappy one, and she knew she shouldn't worry - so she took out her phone / tracker while Rahne replied, and brought up the tracker.

It was working.

Not that she ever doubted her skills. She was damn good at technology. "It's tracking just fine. He...or she...is heading on a North route....I say we get in the car, figure out where he/she is going, and give them some time to relax?"

There was no question in Kitty's mind; they would help this person. Obviously this mutant was purse snatching because they needed to eat...which meant they were probably holed up someone not nice...but that was okay. "It'll give you a chance to change, too..." Because she was certain Rahne would be more comfortable in other clothes...

Wolfsbane
X-Men
"Nothin' a wee bit o' time cannae fix," Rahne said with a grunt as she rolled to a seated position, promptly moving to remove the high heeled shoes that she wore for this little excursion. Never again, she swore to herself in that moment. Never again. She'd sooner tromp around in a ball gown and clown shoes than put high heels on again.

"Aye, let's get a move on f'r certain," Rahne pushed herself up to her feet, and began walking towards the car, confident that Kitty would keep up. Right now, their key priority had to be to get away from the shop. The old owner seemed the nosy type, and the last thing they needed was him or any other local getting involved, or worse, getting the police involved. That was why they were here themselves, to protect this thief from overzealous law enforcement.

"Fantastic," Rahne smiled as she glanced down at Kitty's phone, precisely tracking exactly where the thief was headed.
"Hopefully, we can get this all wrapped up clean an'- no, no..." Rahne stopped herself, shaking her head slowly. "Nearly jinxed us. Definitely should'nae do that."

It seemed to be a law of the universe - the moment you claimed something was going to be easy, simple, straightforward - that was the moment things took a sharp u-turn into nightmare land.
none
played by:
Crypt
X-Men
Kitty's first priority was making sure Rahne was okay. Once that was done, they could move forward without any problem. Of course the other mutant removed her heels; Kitty couldn't fault her. Heels were one letter away from hell.

Nodding, she moved with Rahne, "After you!" She wanted to make sure they were out before the owner decided to try and do anything else. She had the new brooch - a present for Jean. She had plausible deniability and she had - a remote starter, which she pushed as they got closer.

"Your mutant is my...ah..okay..that sounded better in my head. " She grinned, getting into the car and putting her phone up on the holder. She could track this guy for several miles - as long as he had the purse. That was the race, though..to make sure they got there in time to talk with this four armed mutant.

She pulled out and started on the GPS route.
wolfs
"No, no, no...you know the rules. No jinxing us...I'll get us there...and then we'll help him. I'd love to figure out his age. You know, one of these years, we should start investigating or thinking about homes for mutants with obvious physical mutations....some place safe, so this doesn't happen..." She turned onto another road. "So...game plan when we get there? " Rahne was in charge of the mission, but Kitty was perfectly capable. She knew they would go in and help the guy, and she was well aware that it probably would take both of them to persuade...

"Almost there.."

Wolfsbane

X-Men
"There aren't enough, aye," Rahne answered as they got in the car and followed the GPS signal. "The school an' Mutant Town have New York fairly well covered, and I've heard tell of similar communities around the world, but we need more,"

She paused as they made their way along the trail, catching up as the tracker made its stop just outside of town, a little bit past a small field to what seemed to be an old, abandoned barn, a bit delapidated and dark in the waning evening sunlight.

"Ye know, so long as these other places aren't Brotherhood enclaves," Rahne said with a sigh. "I'd like to believe most of us want a peaceful, quiet life, but 'tis awfully difficult t' do that with radical elements out there."

Rahne looked the place over as they approached it. Seemed quiet, seemed isolated. She wasn't even sure anyone was in there anymore, or if their snatcher dropped the stash and went back out to work. Hard to say.

"I think we use yuir abilities t' get us in," Rahne said with a nod of her head and a tightening of her lips. "After I get a lay o' the land once we step out. I dinnae think we were followed or that we're on anyone's radar, but I'd like t' move quickly all the same."

She took a deep breath and stepped out of the car, glancing around before shifting her form, heightening her senses beyond their usual elevated level. She could hear much more clearly in her transitional form, smell things from miles around.

"He's... no, she's in there," Rahne whispered to her partner, her left ear twitching a bit as a bug flew past it. "Alone, too. Let's try talkin' to her."
none
played by:
Crypt
X-Men
It was one of the things Kitty had started wondering more and more about. Mutants were not universally accepted, though people knew about them. Those with physical manifestations were especially hard hit as there wasn't legislative reform protecting them. She understood why massive areas with mutants were stuck between a rock and a hard place; advertising you were protecting those hated painted a huge target on that community. It was a difficult situation, and she always thanked the Good Lord that Professor Xavier had found her when he did.

She heh'd at the barn. "I feel like I'm walking into one of Bobby's bad movies."

She nodded, agreeing completely. "Yeah. There are radicals in every society, but radicals who can control minds? Bad stuff..." She sighed. Eric meant well, but really - his methods left a LOT to be desired...

Kitty nodded, listening to Rahne. Yes, this was one of her first return ops, but it made sense. Rahne was aware she could camouflage herself, if needed. First, however, they needed to know what they were up against. As they stopped and Rahne stepped out, Kitty took up active guard. Again, she wasn't expecting anything huge or awful, but it was always best to be prepared.

Nodding, she started walking towards the door. The young woman was a shadowcat; she learned from some of the best how to keep incredibly quiet - and she was ignoring all that training right now. Instead, she called out quietly, yet gently, "Hello in there! My name is Kitty and I'm here with a friend...we just want to talk..."

Wolfsbane
X-Men
As they entered the old delapidated barn, the sounds of a rapid scramble sounded out from above - they had taken their quarry so to speak by surprise. Rahne listened as Kitty spoke - their thief hadn't left, wasn't on the run. Clearly, she was hoping if she just hid long enough, they'd leave.

Rahne took but a moment to triangulate her whereabouts from the sound, from her scent. There was a loft up above the main floor of the barn, accessible by a single rope, which was drawn up and bundled. This thief of theirs was pretty smart, it seemed. Rahne looked to Kitty and gestured upward with her eyes. It was a decent hiding spot - normal people couldn't get up there.

"We know ye're here, miss," Rahne offered, but made no moves. Kitty would likely have an easier time getting up there than Rahne did without the rope. She was strong and fast, yes, but climbing wasn't really her forte so much. And she certainly couldn't walk on air.

"Must be hard, livin' here by yuir self, stealin' stuff t' get by," Rahne continued. "Can't work for ye forever, though. The locals are gettin' right spooked, an' I know a thing or two 'bout what happens when the locals get spooked."

There was no response.

"We're here t' help, an' like she said, we'd like t' speak with ye. How about ye drop that rope down so we can come up an' have us a wee chat? Just us three, no tricks. Promise."

"Can't trust you," a quiet, timid squeak of a voice sounded out, with the slightest hint of a southern accent.

"How 'bout I send a token up?" Rahne offered, before taking the X-Communicator that was concealed inside her dress out and lobbing it up in an underhanded toss. It took a moment, and Rahne could hear the scrape of metal against wood as their thief picked it up, contemplated it for a moment, before a slender purple hand emerged from the shadows to push the robe bundle down, letting it hang from the loft.
none
played by:
Crypt
X-Men
As they entered the barn, Kitty looked around. She didn't have heightened anything like her partner, but she was smart. If a person was living in this area, she could find it. The assumption was that the mutant was still in the building. She took a few moments to scout around, phasing through the obstacles in her way. While she wasn't a werewolf, she was a ninja, and when phasing? Well - she didn't make a sound. She found some signs of another person...some trash in a corner, but no nest, or bed, or clothes. If this was where the mutant was living, she wasn't living on this level.

When Rahne motioned up with her eyes, Kitty nodded. It was a decent hiding spot, but Kitty could get up there easily enough, and without being seen.

She listened to Rahne talk, now content to be the quiet one. She wasn't going to do anything to spook the girl, not unless asked. Sure, she could walk up there, but it would be so much better for her to come down on her own.

Kitty added to Rahne's. "We've both have had to deal with locals not being terribly pleased about mutants. My mutation isn't as obvious, but...." She shrugged - not the girl could see her, she hoped. "You're safe with us..." She knew she was generally non-threatening to look out, and she hoped the girl felt that way.

There was no response.

She let Rahne take the next swing.

Kitty smiled quietly as the rope came down. "Good job, Rahne..." The words were honest, and quiet...and Kitty took the rope in hand. Truthfully? She air walked up. It was easier, but she made it look like she was climbing the rope. Just meant her arms wouldn't be as tired when she got there.

Her head popped up first, and she looked around, and then got out of the way for Rahne.

"I'm Kitty..."

Wolfsbane
X-Men
"Andrina," the girl answered meekly as Kitty poked her head up. She held a defensive posture as she sat on a hay bale, trying to stick to the shadows of the loft as much as possible. Despite this, her eyes shone in the darkness under her hood, a pale, milky blue with no visible irises or retina.

It took only a moment for Rahne to follow up, even in human form possessed of a physical superiority compared to other women in her size range.
"An' I'm Rahne. Spelled different from y'know, water fallin' from the sky."

"You... Y'all ain't gonna take me to mutant jail?" The girl asked, trying to keep hidden as well as possible, even though the two women were up there and close to her. Her torso seemed oddly misshapen, and moved around, squirmed, like a mass was writhing underneath the sweatshirt she wore.

"What?" Rahne asked as she sat down on the wooden plank making up free space in the loft. Her face scrunched up with confusion, her left eyebrow lifted.

"Y'all are X-Men, right? Here to take me down for stealin' from people?"

"That... really isn't how this works," Rahne said. "Ye've got no reason to hide from us. We're nae here to hurt ye, we're nae here to haul ye in or whatever. We'd like to offer you a way out."

"I don't..." the girl stammered, blinking her softly iridescent eyes rapidly.

"Interested in goin' to school?" Rahne asked, a light smile on her lips.
none
played by:
Crypt
X-Men
"Hey, Andrina. I'm Kitty.." She completely phased through the floor, and moved to sit where the girl could see her. Rahne was the more senior person, yes, but Kitty was good with kids, and she was a friendly person. The goal here was to make the young woman feel unthreatened. She gave her name, she waved with a smile and waited for Rahne to arrive.

Kitty frowned as the girl asked about mutant jail. The fact her body moved about didn't even phase Kitty. She'd been afraid of Kurt when she first met him as a 13 year old, but now? She couldn't imagine her life without him. She was as confused as Rahne was. "X-Men work to protect people from the bad people - the people who want to hurt people just for fun....."

Oh, Kitty understood why Andrina said what she did - but that didn't make this any easier to hear. Too many people were scared; she'd need to talk to someone about getting the work out there that the X-Men were friendly people, that these were the people to get help from.

And then Rahne was offering her school.

"Rahne and I are both teachers there - in addition to, yes, being a part of the X-Men. The school is really special. We both started there when we were younger....I've spent half my life there....and there are so many mutants who just want a safe place to go..." The young woman desperately hoped she made it sound appealing.

"You could come with us, we could show ou the school..see how you felt about it....."

Wolfsbane
X-Men
"I don't... I don't wanna hurt anybody, I just..." Andrina said with a shudder of her shoulders. "I thought if I had money, I could buy food, but even then..."

Rahne nodded her head, softly. This was a kid who was in way over her head, didn't know what to do, maybe even had no options, and was left with a bad choice to make. It was a miracle the girl survived this long.

"I got good at it - steal from tourists, steal from the farmer's market - figured I could steal me enough money to someday get a bus ticket outta here, but everybody carries cards anymore and I can't buy a ticket with a card, they'd spot me in a second."

Rahne glanced over to Kitty, and nodded her head.
"Aye. We'll nae force anything on ye, but if ye'd like, we could get ye outta this place an' up to-"

Rahne stopped short, eyes going wide and ears pricking for just a moment before they stretched and extended, growing a bit and lengthening to a point.

"Whoa," Andrina muttered.

"Shh," Rahne whispered. Out in the distance, well, outside of their hearing range, Rahne could hear car tires on the dirt road, and coming in quickly. She could hear the car throwing into park on the opposite side of the barn from where they had parked.

"Hell," she whispered, and then immediately began disrobing, taking the dress and all off and handing each item over to Kitty, completely uncaring of the indecency. "That was a police car. Bloody old shop owner must 'a seen where we were headed. Get Andrina t' the car an' go. I'll distract 'em an' meet ye at the X-Jet rendezvous point."

"Why is she..." Andrina started to ask Kitty, but it became clear once Rahne was completely disrobed. Fur rippled across her skin as her body shifted and warped, hands and feet became paws, her face elongated and all trace of humanity was gone. The wolf that was once a woman leaped down to ground level and ran out of the barn, charging the police officers with a fierce snarl, chasing them away from the barn.

"Uh..." the girl stared after it wide-eyed, disbelieving what she had just seen. "Uh... uh, so... I guess y'all are gonna want these back...?"

From underneath her sweatshirt, two arms slipped out, each one a deep purple, and held out the purse and the communicator to Kitty.

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply

skinned exclusively for XMR by evvie of caution, shine, & tumblr.

Our Discord

Affiliates & Directories

RPG-D
Top RP Sites Top RP SitesVote for X-Men: Revolution at Top Site List Planet
Shadowplay Topsites Marvel Topsites