WELCOME TO EARTH-740.

X-Men Revolution is an Earth-616 inspired advanced RPG. We are loosely inspired by canon comic and movies, but have our own history, original characters and plots.

Join us as an original character, or pick one from marvel canon!

x-men
REVOLUTION

Add Reply

Insanity / Evil / and the telepath, brainstorming and plotting
Jean
X-Men
This doesn't have to be set soon, it can be a while down the road.

I was toying with the idea of a telepath-therapist in a comicbook world, and the villains who are more than just someone who is sadistic and likes causing pain and misery; someone who does it because they are fundamentally mentally broken. I don't want to use a Marvel example, so I'll use a DC one that everyone would be familiar with - like The Joker or Harley Quin.

Unlike when a person has a broken leg, broken arm, or poor eyesight (or some other problem), they are capable of deciding if they want to be fixed. The thing wrong with them doesn't affect their mind and ability to make decisions. The same isn't true when the problem is the mind - it's illogical to expect a person with an impaired mind to be able to make the best choices for themselves.

But doing it, "fixing them" with their best interests at heart, doesn't change the fact that they were changed without their consent.

It's an interesting moral quagmire.

I'm interested in exploring this as a character development plot. I think the ideal character would be a villain who is mentally messed up, not merely someone who is rational and chooses to hurt other people. This "personality fix" would not be the choice of the character; part of the moral question is that it was done without their consent, but "with their best interests at heart".

You could use this as a way to take your character in a new direction: either permanently or temporarily, for an interesting change.

If you have a character who you think would work for this plot, let me know and we can talk about it.
Brotherhood
In general I don't tend to emphasize mental illness in characters because it's hard to do respectfully within the context of a comic book narrative, but this is an interesting idea.

So, Vinnie is a self-described rational anarchist whose primary stated motivation is political, so he's not an obvious choice, but OTOH he's pretty fucked up, and it's entirely possible that his villainous lifestyle is a function of mental illness/trauma that he just doesn't acknowledge.

He's also currently sitting in a Genoshan jail, so being in involuntary therapy might flow naturally.

Let me know if that's interesting.
Divorced my motorbike in 2013
played by:
Si
Siani
Players
Thinking about this, Vertigo seems like the perfect specimen of "fundamentally mentally broken" but the damage is as much physical as psychological at this stage - hence the persistent language problems. Add in that her brain is basically the psychic equivalent to a wet soap bar that headbutts you every time you drop it and I'm not sure a telepathic fix would be anything more than very temporary. BUT that would be interesting to see nonetheless.

If any of this is going to go down in/around New York though, I honestly think Stacy would wade in. Telepathic therapy vaguely crosses over with the kind of things she's paid to do, altering feeling vs altering thought. So she'd perceive this as someone potentially tainting the industry for every other worker (or worse yet giving SHIELD ideas that they should be recruiting mutants to do this en masse). She's always had very strong feelings about delving into thoughts without consent, that the psyche should be held far more sacred than the body. And she's had words of warning with Vinnie before about forcing friends of hers to further a Brotherhood agenda; but she'd be just as dismayed with someone flipping the tables on him...
SHIELD
I think this would be a good thing for Henry to investigate. He hates mind control with a passion and would pursue this doggedly. Maybe even off the books.

Topic Options
Add Reply

skinned exclusively for XMR by evvie of caution, shine, & tumblr.

Our Discord

Affiliates & Directories

RPG-D
Top RP Sites Top RP SitesVote for X-Men: Revolution at Top Site List Planet
Shadowplay Topsites Marvel Topsites