WELCOME TO EARTH-740.

X-Men Revolution is an Earth-616 inspired advanced RPG. We are loosely inspired by canon comic and movies, but have our own history, original characters and plots.

Join us as an original character, or pick one from marvel canon!

x-men
REVOLUTION

Add Reply

Just another Wednesday, Tag: Scorpion
No, I'm not sleeping with Nat
played by:
Crypt
SHIELD
Date: Jan 17th
Summary: Ronin and Scorpion go on a mission together to eliminate a mutant who'd acquired unknown toxins

It was just another Wednesday for Clint Barton. He'd gotten up, and been prompted informed he had a mission. This particular one was a (so far) unpleasantly nasty one. There was a woman in Saudia Arabia who'd managed to acquire things she should not acquire - most notably several toxins of an unknown variety. This woman was a mutant, a person who could manipulate metal (though no where the levels that Magneto could...thank God for small favors).

As he dressed, he continued to read the brief. The mutant's name was Madeleine Swanson. She was an affluent European who'd set up shop in Saudia Arabia for its loser moral systems. The toxins were thought to be a neurotoxins, but the intel was not perfect. In this case, if they were correct, that would be a huge problem. If it was wrong - well, this was a mutant that was quietly developing her own terrorist organization. This was literally the type of stuff that their organization was made to deal with.

Heading out of his room on the Helicarrier, he understood why he'd been asked to come on board. Normally, he lived in the small apartment building that he managed. It was small, sure, and it really wasn't what you'd think a 45 year old man who was a secret agent and saver of the world would live in - but it was his, and he could keep his dog there without any issue.

He loved his dog.

According to the brief, he'd been partnered with Carmilla. Some people gave her a bad rap for stuff she had no control over. Clint? He was just thankful (again) that he was just a man. A man with a bow. He didn't have to worry about his bow accidentally killing someone, or his arrows potentially poisoning someone. That would definitely such. Big time. Carmilla, or Scorpion as she liked being called, was the perfect woman for the job. Her body naturally blocked the neurotoxins -whatever they were. And her arm? Well...eliminate up close, or far away. In this case, Clint was the far away.

They'd worked together a few times; with as...veteran as Clint was, it was hard not to have - but never as partners. No problems on his side, but they needed to figure out their questions, get their game plan, and then finish the op. From his perspective, the time sensitive nature of the problem meant that it was pretty much a go in hot situation - but maybe Carmilla had a better idea. That's what these pre-meetings were about.

Clint strode into the briefing room a few moments early. He had his signature weapon and quiver full on him, and he was wearing his Ronin armor. Taking a seat, he waited for Scorpion to arrive - at which point, he'd rise and greet her with a cheerful, "Morning...."

He was ready to get the show on the road.

Carmilla Black
SHIELD
Toxins were pretty much Carm’s tagline. She’d been brought in to consult or test substances in dozens of cases, especially cases where the scientists knew that her expertise could make a difference. Drugs, poisons, toxins, chemicals – they were her source of power, creepily enough. Getting woken up by a harsh knock on her door wasn’t unusual, and luckily she didn’t need much sleep, so a solid three hours left her wide awake and perfect as she stretched her way to the door for the briefing. She was more surprised at the agent she’d be working with. Carm had heard of Clint – who hadn’t – but she’d never had the pleasure of working with him directly like this. But it would be pretty much the perfect pairing – he’d take care of distance, she’d take care of the up close and personal. Exactly what she was used to.

Mumbling to herself as she walked through the hallway, finishing off a piece of toast with one hand while reading what they had on the toxins. Entering the briefing room, her boots making little noise, dressed in her usual work suit of flexible black leather armor, heavy black boots, peppered with holsters for guns, syringes, and a few knives hidden around her figure. Her vivid green hair was pulled into a sedate braid with a spiked strap hidden in it, in case anyone decided to grab it, and on her left arm, from second knuckle to elbow, was her silver gauntlet, encasing her venomous arm safely away from the public. And apparently as a joke, there was a biohazard sticker stuck to the handle of one of her guns, that someone had apparently tried to pull off and it didn’t work. Smiling brightly at Clint’s greeting, she offered her right, completely benign hand to shake before tossing the report on the table and sitting down.

“Morning! Sorry to keep you waiting.” She was pretty sure she wasn’t late, but since he was already in here she apologized anyways, not losing the cheery look, even as she scanned over the document in front of her. “Any chance we have any samples of this supposed neurotoxin? If not, that’s what I want, as soon as possible when we get there. I need a sample of it, in me, stat. I’ll be able to tell what it is, side effects, and potential death toll…That kind of thing.” All things their scientists would want to know. She wasn’t sure how much about her mutation Clint actually knew, but she didn’t elaborate, assuming he’d ask if he was uncertain. Then she steepled her fingers together, tapping lightly against her gauntlet as she looked at him.

“Is there a plan for going in or are we just...Stop drop and roll out?” Carm was pretty sure most of her missions at least started with a plan. The problem was, plans had a way of going sour, and she wasn’t one to shy from a fight. A good fight to get the adrenaline going was her idea of fun, because with her heightened reflexes and the fact that her body didn’t tire like regular humans’, it was hard to find a good opponent.
played by:
Crypt
SHIELD
Well, bonus that she was a cheerful person.

Clint had worked in SHIELD for 25 years, and he'd worked with a lot of people with a lot of different attitudes. Hell, when he'd started, he was pretty sure they would have said some choice words about him. He knew Bobbi had. Sometimes reckless, sometimes too soft, sometimes too flippant. And when he was team lead? Yeah, he was known to be a hard ass - but when you went out in the field, a hard ass was what you needed. You needed someone to make the hard calls in a split second; that job sucked, but he'd do it.

More often than not, though, Clint was a small group type of operative. He and Nat had certainly had their share of adventures. He and Bobbi (back when people didn't get weird with you fighting with your wife). He was often brought along as the...what did some of the younger guys call it? Ranged DPS.

Working with Carmilla would be just fine.

When she walked in, he stood and shook the offered hand, offering "Morning..." right back to her. "No waiting..I tend to get places early. Quirk of mine." He smiled easily at her.

And then they got straight into the mess - because mess was what this was. Clint spread the pictures along the table. "Right now - no sample of the toxin. That's the problem. We're in one of those politically awkward situations. If it's bullshit, then we have to give a certain appearance or else....." He rolled his shoulder, really, really hating political bullshit. Red tape wasn't something he was found of -but who was.

"So, am I hearing correct? You want to injest the toxin?" With her assent, he huh'd. "Well, that explains a lot then. Sorry..didn't understand that part of your power set. Handy. Should I bring mints?" The smile was an easy indicator he was attempted a little early morning light hearted humor.

Back to the plan.

"The plan is...there is no real plan. Infiltrate - hence the two instead of a larger group. If we can determine the level of toxicity, then we make decisions based on that. Either way, the mark needs to be brought in, but the level of response...." He shrugged. "And, of course, that is the plan until it hits the ground. She isn't hosting anything special that could get us in the front door, and as near as intel as gathered, she isn't due for a gathering of like minded individuals any time soon."

He showed her a map of a compound that was (shock surprise) on the outskirts of a smaller city/town. The compound was walled, and had several buildings within. "This is a barracks....this some sort of gathering hall..." He pointed as he spoke. "This is the chemistry area...so my suggestion would be to get in there first." What he wouldn't give to have someone who could phase through walls, but that mutant was on the X-Men, and hadn't worked with SHIELD in a few years.

"My thought is get in. Go there. Get what you need. Make decisions from there. Thoughts?"

Carmilla Black
SHIELD
Considering the nature of her mutation – which was basically death personified in the shape of her left arm – and what she’d been through since it manifested, Carmilla was in general a cheerful person. She’d already lost pretty much everything important to her; family, friends, the life she used to lead. After all that, there was only so much that could be considered truly threatening. So rather than think about what could happen, and dwell on the bad, Carm chose to look at mostly the positive side of things. Her easy-going nature in that regard meant that she was pretty good at rolling with the punches and taking orders, and other than taking command of things involving her mutation, she was usually content to let others handle being in charge. Tapping her fingers thoughtfully against the table as he explained the lack of toxin, and why that was so annoying to them, she nodded, green eyes scanning the document again, before glancing up at his question about her mutation. After a second, she sighed.

“They didn’t brief you on my powers, did they?” Throwing an irate scowl at the door, as if the powers that be might be able to feel her venomous look somehow, Carmilla tapped the paper describing the toxin. “Not ingest, exactly. However it’s meant to be used, whether it’s airborne, injected, waterborne, whatever – that’s how I want to use it. My body is…Not so much immune as, my lymphatic system is supercharged. I’ll be able to register on some scale most of the physical effects of the toxin as it hits my system, while my body filters it out.” Holding up her left hand, protectively encased in the silver gauntlet, she wriggled her fingers. “Every toxin, poison, chemical, or whatever my body deems unnecessary is filtered into my left arm through my lymph node and into this hand, where I can discharge it as an incredibly venomous touch. It’s very concentrated – don’t ever touch my left arm.” Joking nature aside, that was said with complete seriousness, and she immediately lowered her hand to a safe distance, clenching her fingers into a fist.

“The gauntlet lets me control the amount of venom my arm exudes, and lets me not continually poison the air around me. If it comes off, stay at least five feet away from me at all times, okay?” Crossing her arms, she listened to the basic outline of their lack of plan, snorting slightly in amusement. “I swear, every mission I go in is basically SHIELD going ‘hey let’s just throw Carm at them and see what happens’. One of these days, someone’s gonna shout ‘fetch’ at me, and I’m gonna piss on their bed out of spite.” Despite the words, Carmilla grinned playfully, obviously joking. Tugging a lock of green hair, she leaned closer to look at the compound as he pulled out the specs, narrowing her eyes thoughtfully.

“Yeah, definitely chem area first. Even an unfinished product will help me determine the threat level, and I’ll have the most efficient chance to charge my powers there if I’m caught.” Looking up at him, she gave him a quizzical look. “Are you coming in close with me, or staying distance? If you’re gonna be distance, then we need to plan a path for me to lead people into your sights if I’m in trouble, just in case.” Because shooting into a building wasn’t probable. And while she was capable and willing to jump out windows and swing down balconies, having a clear plan as to where he’d be would make it much easier than just running around waiting for an arrow.
played by:
Crypt
SHIELD
Clint was a pretty easy going guy. He was a good team lead, but just as content to be under someone else's leadership. It's why he'd been with SHIELD for nearly 25 years and was just the level he was. When he worked with people, he read their files, sure - but it was always better to actually talk about things before the whole throw down bit. Hence why he got clarification from Carmilla regarding her mutation.

He nodded and wrinkled his nose a bit. "Let's hope it's not airborne; I don't really have any desire to be a human test subject, eh?" His grin was wide. "And I'll make sure to not shake that hand....I'm kinda fond of my life - but more importantly, if I died, who'd feed my dog?" He wasn't being flippant; just himself. Clint was the token normal guy in the higher levels of SHIELD. Even Natasha, in his eyes, didn't qualify as normal; she was reared as a super soldier. Yeah, there was nothing normal about her, save perhaps her penchant for certain foods. "But...got it. We need to get you to the poison and let it work its magic on you...however it's supposed to work it.." He listened as she explained the rest of the intriacies of her power and once against was grateful. His power? He shot a bow really, really well.

He was good at taking reasonable requests, so when she gave the five foot radius? He nodded, "Gotcha. Five feet. Can do." Chuckling, he had to commiserate. "I get it. Do you know how many times my orders are just...Get high and shoot shit? You..I have other talents...." He was also grinning good naturedly. "At least you aren't a part of any sort of hazing ritual for new recruits..." Cause that would suck.

But they were at the business at hand. He nodded, glad she liked the chem area first. Getting in wouldn't be too hard if they were stealthy, and while Carmilla was no Nat---who really was? "I'm going to stay close. Old AD&D rule. Don't split the party....I am just as strong close combat...okay, that isn't true...but I'm damn good...so...." He paused and asked honestly, "IF I knocked a person towards you, would your mutation kill them?" He wasn't one for killing until absolutely necessary, and wanted to make sure they were on the same page. There was nothing like having THAT discussion in the middle of a fight.

Once the basics were decided, he gave her a little bit of time to get all her gear together before meeting her at the Quinjet. Oh, he got to fly, and really? He loved flying. With a wide grin, Clint declared, "I get to pick the music...."

Carmilla Black
SHIELD
When it came to powers, some people just got the short end of the stick. With the exception of past tragedies, Carm liked to think that she was pretty much in the middle of the stick now. With her gauntlet, she was capable of living a pretty normal life, more or less. Sure, she was still toxic, and yeah, it sort of sucked that she couldn’t ever call out for a ‘sick day’ – and yes, she’d tried it once, and gotten told to get her lying lazy self into work and hung up on while her friend laughed at her – but really, she wouldn’t trade it for the world. There were plenty of mutants out there who had it harder than she did. That said, her power was something that was extremely difficult to explain properly without having a scientific background. She could go on for days listing toxins, chemicals, illnesses, poisons, venoms, and other substances like smoke, and just how her body fended them off and then absorbed them to convert them into her own personal juice cocktail. The special cilia lining her lungs and throat, the special substances coating her cells, everything meant to basically make her a walking cockroach capable of living through even an atomic bomb.

It was why she’d expected them to brief him more thoroughly – usually, the scientists gave a pretty intense debriefing packet on her to people who hadn’t worked with her in close quarters before, that way, when she inevitably went charging into a tear and smoke gas filled area like a lunatic, her partner didn’t panic and wonder why the hell she was trying to get herself killed. Nope – she was immune to both tear gas, and smoke, and liked to yank the gas masks off her enemies and leave them gasping while she took them down unexpectedly. The mention of airborne chemicals made her wrinkle her nose, but she crossed her arms and gave him a serious look.

“If they are, and I tell you to run, don’t argue – get out to a safe distance and shoot from there. I can function in close quarters with it, and you can still function out of range. I won’t let you get hit with it.” She took that very seriously, any time she was with a partner and working with chemicals. Then he talked about a dog and she grinned. “Don’t worry, I don’t shake with my left hand.” Raking a hand through her hair at the mention of hazing rituals, she laughed.

“Uh, they didn’t dare try. I was probation – it was either here or prison, and let’s just say, me in prison would not have ended well for anyone. They kept me away from most of the actual agents other than for missions until I proved trustworthy. Luckily, the scientists like me.” Flashing him a beaming smile, she twiddling glowing green fingertips at him. “I’m like a pet project, and since I love science myself, a few of them are actually helping me get a degree. Always wanted to be a mad scientist. I think I’ve got the perfect look for it!” Shaking out her bright green hair, she gave a wide, crooked smile, widening her green eyes comically. Then he asked it – would her mutation kill. She sobered instantly, left hand curling into a fist in her lap, but she didn’t look away.

“Most of the time, yes. I can’t always control the full output of toxin I secrete – the glove gives me better control, so I’m less likely to kill, but it is a possibility. That said,” Carm motioned to her weapons, “My mutation also means I’m at peak human endurance and my body automatically converts lactic acid buildup in my muscles into my own poison. I don’t tire. I’ve been fully trained in taking down enemies without necessarily needing to use my mutation, and I also make sure that when I…Juice up…I load myself with sedatives, so any toxin I secrete has a more sedative effect and is less deadly.” Crossing her arms, she shrugged.

Once they separated, she went back to her quarters to grab her go bag, already dressed and armed, although she snagged an extra glove and gauntlet bracelet as well, just in case. Meeting him in the hangar, she arched a brow at the quinjet and his obvious excitement, snorting at his declaration.

“Uh, whatever you want. I’m still catching up on music from when I was out of the loop for so long.”
played by:
Crypt
SHIELD
Carmilla would quickly figure out, Clint was about as laid back as a human who worked with mutants could be, or as laid back as a secret agent could be. He honestly figured if Fury put a person next to him, he should trust them...unless Nat didn't....then he followed her instincts.

Yes, Clint had read her file, but no - he hadn't gotten the full briefing. He was a spy, an agent, sometimes a clown, and often in over his head - but he was not a scientist. Oh, he'd learned enough to make some pretty fancy arrows, but...yeah, leave the science to real scientists. He'd been told not to follow her through tear gas, and his thought was "Duh...." Why would he charge after someone in tear gas without a mask himself?! Smoke Gas? Not so much a problem; he wore goggles that protected his eyes - but apparently she'd worked with idiots before him. Clint? He liked living - despite what Bobbi sometimes said against that.

The archer nodded, holding hands up. "Hey. I'm really good with a bow. I'm really good getting in and out of places. I trust you, the poison expert, to make sure I'm not dead. Kinda attached to living..." His grin was wide and easy. And then she was joking back, and he nodded, "Fair enough."

It was good to hear she hadn't had a hard time with hazing. Clint listened to her story with obvious interest. "Prison, eh?" While he'd never been in prison, SHIELD had certainly picked him up off of the street. Similar backstories of a sort. "Glad you're declared Trustworthy..this mission would really suck without you..." He chuckled, "And since I don't think I ever took? a science class? I mean, I must of, but..any way...science fairs...me? Yeah, no...although, I like making weapons...." Someday, he'd sit down with Tony and talk... "When I want to add a chemical component to my arrows - you're my gal, okay?"

Again, she answered his questions fully and bluntly. He nodded and simply said, "Good to know..." Easy going. Matter of a Fact. No judgement here.

They met again in the hanger, and Clint didn't give a rat's ass that Carmilla looked at him like he was a kid at Christmas. Flying never got old, and he didn't get to do it enough...and certainly not in the Quintjet. Grinning jauntily, he nodded. "Okay..well, if something really annoys you, let me know....

----------
The flight went smoothly enough with the pair getting to know each other a little bit more, and each discovering the other had a real sense of humor. Clint was finding he was enjoying this mission - which was good. Too often of late, he'd felt like the old man on the mission. He'd never be Old Man Logan, but as Natasha kept pointing out, they weren't getting any younger. At least this "youngster" wasn't giving him a hard time.

Getting into the compound was actually, almost laughably easy. The pair slipped in, working in concert to avoid the very obvious patrol. Clint's background came in handy in spotting traps that might trip them up, and they found themselves, somehow, almost miraculously in the lab in which the toxin was located.

Things never went this smoothly. Not even when he and Bobbi used to work together.

Clint kept look out from the main door. "Okay, time for you to work your science magic..." He had an arrow knocked, just in case. Ronin's eyeline from the outside hall was clear; there wouldn't be another patrol for another four minutes, and in that time, if they came around the bend, all he and Carmilla had to do was duck down. They looked in, they didn't go in. Fracking lose security if you asked Clint, but no one had, so he kept his opinion to himself. If they could slip in, slip out, all before all hell broke lose? Well..that would be a win, win situation...

Of course, that was when all Hell broke loose.... Literally.

Clint had no clue where the woman came from; apparently there was a secret door he hadn't caught, because one moment she wasn't there...and then she was there....and was startled enough to drop whatever she was holding when that happened. Of course, that was right when the patrol came around the corner....the sound of glass breaking bringing them towards the room at a trot.

A dark green gas swirled up from the dropped test tube, and the woman's eyes went wide, "Oh, no no no no...." Apparently, whatever she'd dropped mixed together, or there was some sort of chemical reaction, or something not good. Small tremors started through her body, and she was coughing. The footfalls were getting closer, and Ronin was pulling up the cloth to cover his mouth - just in case.

The woman begged, "There are kids in this building..you've got to get them out...this building can lock down but...." She coughed a bit more, her body crumbling to the ground, convulsing just as the two guards burst through the doors.

Clint loose two arrows in rapid succession, immobilizing the guards for the moment. Shit. Kids. Why did there have to be THAT type of complication. And now a gas....and a possible alert...

"How we doing there, Scorpion?" Pulling the bodies in, he glanced back at his partner, praying she had something...

Carmilla Black
SHIELD
When it came to work, Scorpion pretty much tended to go with the flow. She’d yet to inspire command in any situation other than one where she had use of her expertise, which was fine by her, and was perfectly content following the lead of more experienced agents. This had never been a planned career choice, after all. Before her powers had kicked in and knocked her life off track, she’d planned on becoming a scientist, like her adoptive family. But her powers gave her an edge in the field that would be useless if she were locked in a lab all day, and with the physical prowess they gave her, she enjoyed being kept on her toes. Besides, she’d gotten the chance to work with some awesome people in doing so. Snorting out a laugh at his admittance to a lack of science background, she nodded.

“Living, check – but just so we’re clear, if you die, can I use your body for science?” She squinted at him in an obviously fake, mad-scientist fashion, as if she were wearing glasses, sweeping her gaze over him consideringly. Then she grinned, shrugging at the mention of being trustworthy. “Hey, SHIELD has given me a new chance at life, and I pretty much told them that. Why throw away a good thing?” She didn’t need an apartment off the carrier, perfectly comfortable with the tiny, functional ‘apartment’ she’d been given. Food, a place to shower, clothes – every basic necessity. Her tiny room was pretty impersonal, without much decoration, but she didn’t own much, or need much. At the mention of adding a chemical component to his arrows, she arched an emerald brow, smiling.

“Oh, I can definitely help you there. Sounds like fun.” Weapons and poisons, two of her favorite pastimes, blended together. The flight was nice and easy, and luckily, no ear bleeding occurred, and Clint had a great sense of humor, something that was sometimes lacking in SHIELD agents, much to her amusement. It made it much more entertaining of a flight. Once they landed, she scanned the area, heightened senses immediately tuning in, her smile fading in favor of wariness. While she enjoyed this part, it was always harder with a partner, tuning to his movements as much as the area around them, hands loose at her sides. She didn’t bother with weapons, just the heavy silver gauntlet encasing her left hand from elbow to fingers, the shine dulled matte.

It was almost too easy, and that was way too suspicious, how fast they made it to the lab, and she scowled, narrowing her eyes as she scanned the room, moving swiftly to the counters, flipping through some notes and scanning the bottles as she went. Until a sound caught her attention and she spun to see…A woman coming through what seemed to be a secret door, catching them both off guard. Before Carm could lunge forward and snag her, she’d dropped the test tubes she was carrying, and a lethal looking gas started pooling around the woman. Immediately, the green haired woman dove between Clint and the cloud, not hesitating for a second before drawing in a deep lungful of the gas, holding it to let the charcoal lined cilia lining her lungs and throat work, and letting out the breath of cleaned air. She repeated the process multiple times, listening to the woman cough through her plea, clenching her fist.

The woman dropped, and Carm used her right arm to cushion her fall, carefully catching the convulsing woman and lowering her carefully to the floor, not even looking up as Clint took care of the two guards. The air had cleared from her breathing in the cloud, but her lungs were purified – she needed it in her blood to get a better work up. Snagging two pieces of glass from the tubes, one with each sample on it, she quickly sliced her arm with each piece, mixing the samples together and dripping them into the cut, before tossing the glass pieces aside and flashing Clint a sharp smile.

“Do me a favor. Don’t panic.” Scorpion grinned wolfishly at him – right before her muscles clenched into a vicious convulsion reminiscent of the woman who was still trembling on the floor, and she gasped for breathe for a moment, left hand fisting at her sternum, eyes wide but aware. Despite that, she didn’t fall, her body merely freezing in place as if she refused to move, kneeling with her right hand braced on the ground. Around ten seconds later, she finally managed to pull in an aching lungful of oxygen, and her muscles relaxed. Shaking her head, Carm didn’t pause, pulling a case of syringes from her hip and propping herself up by the woman on the floor.

“Neuro toxin, deadly. Causes paralysis. Similar to Sarin gas…Which means I might be able to save her…” Might being the key word. Gritting her teeth as her mutation filtered the toxins through her body and into her arm, she pulled one syringe out of the case, flicked the bubbles out of it, and, using her gauntlet to press down on the woman’s arm to expose a vein, plunged the needle into her arm and pressed it. Pulling it out and pressing the woman’s own shirt to the spot, she used her right hand to feel for a pulse, not looking at Clint.

“Any more guards? How’s it looking? If this works, she’ll feel like shit for a while, but she’ll live and hopefully be able to help point us to the kids. If this stuff is airborne, we have a serious problem here, and diplomacy isn’t gonna do crap. That stuff was raw, but potent. They mean business.”
played by:
Crypt
SHIELD
“Living, check – but just so we’re clear, if you die, can I use your body for science?”

Clint had to laugh; she had a sense of humor, and was smart. This mission, at least, would be entertaining. He had no worries about her abilites, and now he knew she had a sense of humor. "Sure...if you can get through Natasha." He laughed; Natasha and Clint were a common enough subject. Most people thought they were connected romantically. That was far from the truth, but Clint was, in his own words, too old for that shit and so he stopped fighting the rumors.

Poison on his arrows? Hell yes. "Great. sounds like we have a plan for after...see! They'll be an after." Ever the optimist.
------
When the gas hit? Clint was at the door, covering that egress. His job was to eliminate threats; hers was to eliminate the chemical threat. He was aware of Carm sucking the poison in, and was aware of the woman dropping. And then she was cutting her arm. Great.

“Do me a favor. Don’t panic.”

Clint grinned, muttering, "Don't panic...that's what they say before..." and then Carm dropped. Everything in Clint screamed for him to go to her, but he listened. She said don't panic, and she'd done this to herself - so he just had to make sure that she didn't die on the floor. Not a problem, right? As long as the threats were physical. Fortunately, the two guards hadn't been missed - but then again, it had only been moments.

When Scorpion came to, Clint shook his head, eyes never leaving the door. "Shit. Now I know. Thanks for the warning...." It was...intense. When she delivered the final verdict? Clint swore violently. "What sort of of low life fuckers would fucking do this to kids?" The heat was evident.

"We should be good for another few moments, but they'll miss the two I took down when they don't report back. We need to find the kids...and if it's in the air? " Yeah, he had a filter on, but...how the hell were they going to get all the kids out...because really - that was the bottom line. The other fuckers could die.

"Now we know the bitch isn't fooling..." He did watch, briefly, as Carmilla did her thing, and looked hopeful as the scientist groaned, wretching.

The scientist didn't bother asking anything, but merely croaked. "Kids. It's in the vent system. Got to get them out...then can initiate lock down..."

Clint quipped, "Lock down. Oh boy...my favorite.." Because nothing said pressure than making sure you got OUT of a place before they locked you IN with a deadline gas...

The scientist coughed some more blood up, and struggled to get up.

"Through here. Avoid guards." At least she was trying to help.

With that intel, Clint started barricading the doors. "How long do we have before it infects the kids? Will the kids last through whatever you just did? Are there any rebreathers in here? " All of these questions were barked as he worked, muffled by his own scarf pulled over his face. Thank God or SHIELD tech. He wasn't anxious to cough up blood. That was already on his Been There, Done That resume. He didn't need more of it.

The scientist could answer at least two of them.

"It's airborne and in the system. Not long. They'll need something. We have a few masks..." She indicated and area, but she relied on Carmilla to acquire the three masks that were in the lab. "Through hear."
SHIELD
The first time a partner she hadn’t worked closely with had to see her powers up close and personal was always a bit intimidating. She’d tried to give Clint as much heads up about the nature of her powers before the mission, but descriptions simply weren’t on par with actually seeing your partner convulse and having to try and reconcile that with the idea that yes, they are fine. Thus the reminder not to panic right before the symptoms hit, because it wouldn’t be the first time a partner had panicked on her in the field only for her to pop back up and have to remind them about her powers. Yes, it sucked to have to experience the symptoms, but it also meant she could gauge the severity. And it really didn’t bother her that much. The physical discomfort wasn’t much more than she was used to, once her breathing evened out and her powers truly kicked in. But she flashed Clint a grin for being a good sport about it, impressed by his composure.

“Should get that in a warning label on my jacket. ‘Don’t Panic.’” The grin faded slightly into a hard look at his anger, and while she doubted he wanted an answer, she provided one anyway. “Someone who wants free test subjects that need smaller doses, especially if they’re still testing this stuff.” She frowned, shifting slightly as the woman woke up, and offering her right arm to be leaned on, helping the woman slightly.

“Did they create an antidote?” Was the first thing she asked, sliding an arm under the woman’s shoulders and easily lifting her up, supporting most of her weight without much trouble. Plus side to her mutation was the peak physical condition, and she followed where the woman pointed them through, but Scorpion scowled at the questions, reaching out and snagging the three masks and handing them off – two to Clint, one to put over the woman’s face.

“Alright. I don’t need a mask.” Clenching her fists, she narrowed her eyes, tapping at the case at her hip. “The stuff I injected her with is…Not really an antidote for Sarin gas, but is a drug cocktail that basically gets the job done in the same way. I can’t use it on a kid, even if I had enough, which I don’t. These packs are drug cocktails meant mostly for jumpstarting me if I need it, not curing other people.” Sweeping a look up and down the woman, green eyes critical, she sighed.

“You’re gonna have to give us the directions to the kids and we’ll come back for you. It’ll be faster. There’s no way we’re going to make it in time if I have to put you down every time we have to fight.” Tugging the communicator out of her ear, she handed it to the woman. “We can track you with this. Can you get outside the compound, and hide? As soon as we get the kids, we’ll grab you and go.” After a second, she glanced at Clint, her eyes hard.

“I’ll bring up the rear. If this place gets saturated, you get the hell out and don’t wait for me. No amount of that gas is gonna kill me, so I’ll meet you at the transport. Okay?” The idea of lock down only bothered her to some degree – because that meant that whoever was in charge was liquidating their assets in the compound, if they were gassing the entire place. But lockdown also meant whoever was locked in couldn’t get away from her.
played by:
Crypt
SHIELD
Well, this was new.

Clint could honestly say he'd worked with a lot of people, and seen a lot of shit - but Scorpion's particular mutation? new for him! It was pretty intense - but so was the fact they were in a lab that created a type of nerve gas, that was going on lock down, and there were kids inside that needed to be rescued? He was very focused on getting out of there alive.

He scoffed, "Oh, I'll buy you the jacket myself, we get out of here.." Nerve gasses? While it was nice to deal with something that WASN"T a mutation....kids and nerve gases? And they might TEST on kids? Clint was well known to be fairly laid back, easy going - but the cold rage that Scorpion saw.....

“Did they create an antidote?”

"Less antidote, more..way to mitigate..." The woman was having definite trouble and her skin pallor indicated all might not be well for her. Once the woman had the mask, she breathed easier.

Clint listened to what information was being offered, and clenched his fist. This thing was airborne. They needed to get the kids out. He had a sneaking suspicion that some of the kids in there were leverage against the scientists as well. He was listening for reinforcements; he knew they were on the way.

The woman nodded, following Carmilla's instructions. "Go through the door. There is a hall. Follow it and it will open into another lab. Take..take my key card. The door will lead to where they are holding the others..." She was breathing heavily. "I'll...try. But the children. You need to get them.."

Clint didn't have time for martyrs. Oh, he understood them, and he agreed with Carmilla. They had their orders. They'd accomplished their orders. The kids were a very necessary side quest and he'd gladly fill out all paperwork if they could save them. This woman? She was still a human. God, Clint hated situations like this.

"Make it out. Period."

Clint helped the woman over towards the door. If she was going to get out a different way, it might give them a chance to get the kids. He held the door for her, watched her run / shamble down the hall and turned back to Carmilla. "I'm not leaving without saving the kids." His words were definite. No, he'd left a kid once. Never again.

“I’ll bring up the rear. If this place gets saturated, you get the hell out and don’t wait for me. No amount of that gas is gonna kill me, so I’ll meet you at the transport. Okay?”

Clint didn't argue with the woman but he had to lighten the mood a little. With a playful smirk, he offered, "At least your view won't suck?" He started through the hidden passage, bow at the ready. True to what the scientist told them, this was apparently a back passage between labs. Clint could already hear some people starting to cough, and the alarms had finally gone off. When they reached the key card door, he swiped; that was a handy kill zone. Anyone without a key card could very well get stuck in the corridor. Easy to be grabbed.

The key card worked and opened into another lab. This one had a large amount of animals. Some were agitated, others were already dead. There were two scientists with gas masks, backing up data.

"They're going to liquidate! Shirine said get the data, meet at doors or die.." Yes, there was an edge of hysteria there.

The other scientist soothed, "This is too important; they'll wait for us." He spoke with the arrogance of someone who knew he was important. "Everyone else can die; as long as we have the data, things can be recreated..."

The other scientist went to say something; Clint silenced them. There was an arrow in the arrogant one's throat; they were against a clock, and he could at least offer a quick death. The other one? In the shoulder. He wasn't a scientist. He didn't know if they needed this person. Carmilla would know. To the panicked scientist, Clint instructed, "Get the Data. Give it to me. Move forward to where the kids are." They had to save the kids.

Bleeding, the panicked scientist was now even more so. She squeaked a yes, hastily downloading while Clint watched her. He trusted Carmilla would grab anything that looked like they needed it, but time was ticking. They needed to get to the kids...

Carmilla Black

The idea of lock down only bothered her to some degree – because that meant that whoever was in charge was liquidating their assets in the compound, if they were gassing the entire place. But lockdown also meant whoever was locked in couldn’t get away from her.[/QUOTE]
SHIELD
Carm was pretty sure that, up until working with her, most SHIELD agents tended to be unflappable. They were used to just about everything on the job…Then they got to see her jolly toxic ass joyously throwing herself into the most poisonous situations with whoops of glee and an occasional seizure, and she was pretty sure she’d horrified some hardened agents with her mutation since starting. Normal was to be nervous of the fact that they were walking through a ticking time bomb of toxic gas right now. Carmilla was completely calm, if a bit ancy to get moving and get the kids out and the job done. But nervous or scared? Not really. Knowing there was a chance they’d find something to mitigate the effects of the gas – something that they would have had to make, given the likelihood that they’d had to test it before now – made her all the more itchy to move out.

Taking the key card, Scorpion let Clint argue with the woman over getting out – she’d felt the effects of the toxin, and knew the woman would have a fight in order to get out, but she seemed like a fighter. And playful nature aside, Carm gave the woman a very serious nod to indicate just how important she was taking her request to get the kids out. Nothing could get Carm to leave a bunch of kids there to die – she’d sooner stay and kill everyone in the facility to get them out. Once the woman shuffled off, and Clint spoke, Carm raised a vibrant green brow at him, snorting.

“Oh good. That means I won’t have to knock you out and leave you in a closet somewhere. We can be harebrained together. Please do keep in mind that I can’t hold hands with children without, y’know, killing them. All yours, buddy. I say run, you run. Maybe we should get a shopping cart.” The mutant muttered under her breath, glancing down at her greenish left hand with a sarcastic look before they started moving, Clint in front. A dry laugh escaped her at his joke and she rolled her eyes.

“That’s just cruel, joke to the toxic woman about nice asses she can look at but can’t touch. Harsh, man. I’d pinch you but you wouldn’t know which hand it would be!” Carmilla’s teasing tone was completely playful rather than flirtatious, and she grinned, trying not to laugh again. They moved into the lab as the door opened, Carm sidling up alongside another line of cages, her steps light and unheard even as Clint fired. She was there in time to catch the one with the arrow to the shoulder so she didn’t fall, releasing her to let her gather what Clint demanded, eyes narrowed.

“And the mitigation agent they created. Any you have.” She added, watching as the scientists eyes darted to a few loaded gun syringes, giving herself away even before she grabbed them and handed them to Carm, who pocketed them. As the scientist led Clint towards where the kids were, Carm swept things off the counter and into a trash bin, poured a chemical on it, and lit it all on fire, burning notes, technology, and anything else she could shove into the bin, before following Clint and the scientist, sniffing at the air as they went. She grabbed the gas mask off the dead scientist as she passed, hooking it on her belt, and kept moving, coming close enough to the injured scientist that she could keep an eye on her movements, just in case.
played by:
Crypt
SHIELD
For the first time in a op together, this one was a doozy; at least her mutation was working on her side. Clint was used to being the 'lesser.' That was, he was human, with only knowledge and experience on his side. Oh, and a wicked shot. Bows, however, were rougher in close quarters - which was were they were going.

He was left to wonder ,briefly, who Carmilla had worked with before. She seemed so ready to think he wasn't going to believe her about her mutation - which was just stupid. He'd read her file. He'd gotten her word. She was a SHIELD agent, and one not quite as volatile as Daisy. Still, he didn't dwell long. They had a job. They were in agreement. Time was ticking.

“Oh good. That means I won’t have to knock you out and leave you in a closet somewhere. We can be harebrained together. Please do keep in mind that I can’t hold hands with children without, y’know, killing them. All yours, buddy. I say run, you run. Maybe we should get a shopping cart.”

He glanced back at her, amused at her arrogance. She tried to touch him to knock him out, he'd dodge. She tried to hurt him? He'd make sure that wasn't a thing. Now wasn't the time for a dick waving contest, so Clint just ignored the desire to correct her assumption that she could knock him out. He'd spent too much time with Nat. And what was it with all the mutants thinking they could just order him around like an idiot?! He did offer, drolly, "You know...I actually have deal with situations like this before..." Similar. Gases, saving kids. But he broke the mood with a joke and she laughed.

“That’s just cruel, joke to the toxic woman about nice asses she can look at but can’t touch. Harsh, man. I’d pinch you but you wouldn’t know which hand it would be!”

"Sure I would. If my ass fell asleep, it was your right hand. If it didn't...your left." He smirked as he moved, referring to her poisonous arm versus the non poisonous one.

The injured scientist was a dead scientist, as he took an arrow to the throat.

The other scientist obeyed, giving Clint the required thumb drive and key card. She then led Clint, shaking, to another door. She opened it, and then made a break for it, trusting that she could escape past Carmilla as the Agents had the choice - save the kids, or stop the scientist. After all, the other scientist had a mask on. All SHE had to do was get out into the open air.

Clint didn't bother to see if Carmilla was going to take care of their runner; he trusted her, and her abilities. Instead, he slid into the room, and saw the six kids within.

The room that they were in was obviously their "main" room. There were four sets of bunkbeds, and a variety of items (such as colorful blankets and stuffed animals) that gave it personality. A large table was in the center of the room. Splashed all over it were crayons and markers. There was video game set up in one corner, and a bookshelf with games and books in another.

The kids were frightened; there was an obvious leader who was just a little older - maybe ten or 12. Clint cursed under his breath. Six kids was a lot. They needed to get out of their face, and he needed to protect them.

"Hey, Guys. My name's Clint, and we're gonna get you out of here. " Taking the three masks he had, he handed them to the three largest kids. They were already starting to cough. To the biggest, he barked "Get him on your back." He pointed to a kid that looked to be maybe three or four. Once there, he told the little boy, "Keep your face down, breath lightly." They didn't have enough masks. He had to get the kids out of there. Taking his scarf off, he motioned for two of the younger kids to come over. "OKay. I need your two to put your arms around each other's shoulders. " The complied, and he put his scarf around both their faces. It wasn't perfect, but they were little, and he had hope. Twisting, he had the girls climb on his back, as he pulled pistols out. They would be easier to use as they escaped.

"Coming out, Scorpion! Six kids.."

Looking around, he told them, "Stay close.."

This was going to really and truly suck..

Carmilla Black
SHIELD
It was so nice being partnered with someone who had experience dealing with the unusual. She’d heard enough about Clint to know that his friendship with Natasha probably helped give him the sort of unflappable air Carm liked when it came to dealing with people in combat situations, especially considering her particular brand of crazy. It definitely helped that she didn’t have to constantly explain why she was doing seemingly idiotically stupid things with toxins during a mission. It happened less now that she was a full agent and not probationary, but still. Her particular mutation wasn’t exactly easy to explain or understand without seeing it in action. Judging by the look he gave her as at her joking remark about leaving him in a closet, he disagreed with her thinking she’d be able to – she’d give him that.

After all, she hadn’t really gone into specifics about her mutation, and this mission so far hadn’t truly let her stretch her muscles as much as she liked to. Hell, he’d taken out everyone so far. But she let out a low, amused laugh at his remark on how to tell which hand she’d use – he got the wrong one, of course, as her left one was the poisonous one, but since he was in front of her, she couldn’t blame him. Raising an eyebrow at the comment about having done this before, she paused, tapping a glowing finger against her lip thoughtfully.

“You’ve gone into a lab that’s being saturated with a deadly neurotoxin before in order to rescue a gaggle of kids? Go figure. I’d say it’s new for me, but Jake in the science lab totally filled the lab with Sarin gas last week while I was in there studying to see what would happen, so I guess this isn’t much different.” Keeping her voice low, conversational, and entirely entertained, she rolled her eyes at him, letting him deal with getting to the room full of kids. As the scientist tried to make a break, Carm let out a sharp breath, and practically shouted with something far closer to enjoyment than she should be feeling. Far from just being immune to toxins, her mutation also gave her a heightened metabolism and peak physical condition – she could easily surpass Olympic athletes with her abilities, and any lactic acid buildup in her muscles was immediately reabsorbed and turned into her own toxic brew, rendering her rarely exhausted.

Scorpion barely even moved, muscles bunching and sliding sideways as she slung her arm out in an arm bar and took the fleeing woman down harshly, a single tap to the center stone of her gauntlet shrinking it down to bracelet size. Lowering her glowing hand to the terrified woman, Carm narrowed her eyes, humor gone.

“I was so hoping you’d run. I hope you feel a fraction of the terror you’ve caused others before you die.” Yanking the woman’s gas mask off with her right hand, she slapped her glowing hand down on the scientist’s mouth before she could scream, giving her a far cleaner and faster death than she likely deserved. Standing, she dragged the body out of view so the kids wouldn’t see it, picking up the gas mask and bringing it to the doorway, handing it to Clint as he announced them coming out. A quick head count said that even with that, they were down a few masks, and Clint had given up his scarf, too. Flashing a bright smile to the kids, she winked at Clint.

“My turn to take point. Okay kids, you think you can take care of my partner for me?” Winking at one of the older boys, she didn’t bother with her guns, but she did pull a syringe out of one of her cases, plunging it into her leg through the fabric and pressing it down, before tossing it back into the empty room the kids had left. Sucking in a sharp breath, eyes vibrant, she nodded. “Let’s get outta here.”

With Clint burdened, and having no intention of picking up a child, Scorpion moved out first, gauntlet still in bracelet form, her left arm glowing a deadly green as she did her best to inhale, carefully monitoring how much of the neurotoxin was leaking through the airways at any given time. And then, finally – finally – after how many arrows taking everyone down, a pair of guards turned the corner, masks on, and Scorpion finally got to get some exercise. Lunging forward, she used one as a springboard to kick the other one’s rebreather unit off, catching herself with her left hand against the maskless man’s shoulder as he flailed. He dropped, and she turned, dodging a punch and slamming her left hand against the remaining guard’s throat in a quick motion that left him on the floor in a heap. Cracking her knuckles, she motioned Clint and kids forward again.

Topic Options
Add Reply

skinned exclusively for XMR by evvie of caution, shine, & tumblr.

Our Discord

Affiliates & Directories

RPG-D
Top RP Sites Top RP SitesVote for X-Men: Revolution at Top Site List Planet
Shadowplay Topsites Marvel Topsites